Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Division of Cornea & Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto | Pediatric Cornea & External Diseases Fellowship
Moorfields Eye Hospital, England | Cornea, Cataract, External Diseases Fellowship
Moorfields Eye Hospital, England | Ophthalmology Residency
Oxford University, England | Medical School
Dr. Fung's practice is focused on the evaluation and management of challenging cornea and external eye disorders in children, adolescents and adults. Examples include:
• Corneal transplants (full and partial thickness)
• Keratoconus treatment
• Ocular surface diseases
• Pediatric cataract surgery
• Pediatric glaucoma surgery
Awards & Research
Dr. Fung is the recipient of the multiple international awards, scholarships and grants from the Ethicon Foundation and the Royal Society of Medicine in England. He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, and he has authored more than 30 peer reviewed publications in leading ophthalmology journals: including Ophthalmology and American Journal of Ophthalmology. Dr. Fung has been the keynote speaker at a number of national and international ophthalmology meetings. His research is focused on the treatment of challenging ocular surface diseases, from childhood red eye to neurotrophic corneal melting.
Dr. Fung is a global leader in engaging early-career ophthalmologists. He chairs the American Academy of Ophthalmology YO International subcommittee and serves on the European Society of Ophthalmology Young Ophthalmologists committee. In these roles, Dr. Fung helps to bring knowledge and skills to ophthalmologists around the world.
- Neurotrophic keratopathy
- Phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis
- S Fung, S Jabbour, M Harissi-Dagher, R Tan, P Hamel, K Baig, A Ali. Visual outcomes and complications of Type I Boston Keratoprosthesis in children – a retrospective multicenter study and literature review. Ophthalmology. 2018;125(2);153-160. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2017.07.009. PMID: 28807636.
- S Fung, J Brookes, M Wilkins, G Adams. Mobile high-frequency low-energy femtosecond laser for pediatric cataract surgery. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2018;28(2):246-250. doi: 10.5301/ejo.5001055. PMID:29077177.
- S Fung, J Catapano, R Zuker, G Borschel, A Ali. In vivo confocal microscopy reveals corneal reinnervation following treatment of neurotrophic keratopathy with corneal neurotization. Cornea. 2018;37:109-112. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000001315. PMID: 29053558.
- S Fung, A Ali, K Mireskandari. Pediatric corneal transplantation - where are we heading? Curr Ophthalmol Rep. 2017;5:23-37. DOI 10.1007/s40135-017-0126-3.
- S Fung, J Luis, B Hussain, C Bunce, M Hingorani, J Hancox. Patient-reported outcome measuring tools in cataract surgery: Clinical comparison at a tertiary hospital. J Cataract Refract Surg.2016;42:1759-1767. PMID 28007107.
- HS Ong, S Fung, D Macleod, JK Dart, SJ Tuft, MJ Burton. Altered patterns of fungal keratitis at a London ophthalmic referral hospital: an eight-year retrospective observational study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 pii: S0002-9394(16)30260-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2016.05.021. PMID: 27287820.
- S Fung, F Aiello, V Maurino. Outcomes of femtosecond laser-assisted mushroom configuration keratoplasty in advanced keratoconus. Eye (Lond) 2016;30(4):553 - 61. PMID: 26795410.
- S Fung, Sykakis E, Islam NM, Zambarakji HJ, Khoramnia R, Auffarth GU, Parmar DN. Intraocular lens opacification following intracameral injection of recombinant tissue plasminogen activator to treat inflammatory membranes after cataract surgery. J Ophthalmol. 2015;2015:975075. PMID: 25861464.
- D Sim, P Keane, S Fung, M Karampelas, S Sadda, M Fruttiger, P Patel, A Tufail, C Egan. Quantitative Analysis of Diabetic Macular Ischemia using Optical Coherence Tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2014;55:417-23. PMID: 24398090.
- S Fung, C Lemer, R Russell, R Malik, D Crabb. Are practical recommendations practiced? A national multi-centre cross-sectional study on frequency of visual field testing in glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol 2013;97:843-7. PMID: 23613506.
- 2017, Best Paper at ASCRS Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, US
- 2016, Ophthalmic Research Fund, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2016, Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology Traveling Fellowship Award, England
- 2015, Ethicon Foundation Travelling Fund, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, England
- 2015, HCA International Foundation Traveling Scholarship, England
- 2015, ARVO International Travel Grant Award, US
- 2015, Moorfields Surgeon’s Association Traveling Bursary, England
- 2005, University of Oxford - University of Iowa Exchange Scholarship, England