Talin Babikian, PhD
Talin Babikian, PhD, ABPP is a board-certified clinical neuropsychologist and Associate Clinical Professor in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry within the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior. Dr. Babikian earned a doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Neuropsychology from Loma Linda University in 2005. She completed a predoctoral internship at the then-UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute (today's Jane and Terry Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA), focusing on developmental disabilities and pediatric neuropsychology. Dr. Babikian is actively involved in research using novel neuroimaging techniques to understand neurocognitive outcomes and the course of repair and recovery following a brain injury in childhood and has authored multiple publications on this topic. She also serves as Associate Director of the UCLA BrainSPORT Program, a multidisciplinary service offering clinical care, education, research, and outreach related to concussions in youth and athletes. Dr. Babikian also oversees the UCLA Sports Neuropsychology fellowship, a 2-year training program for clinical neuropsychologists interested in specializing in concussions and head injuries in youth or young adults.
Clinical Neuropsychology, American Board of Professional Psychology, 2011
Neuropsychology, UCLA School of Medicine, 2005 - 2009
Developmental Disabilities, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Hospital, 2004 - 2005
Medical Board Certifications
- Pediatric Brain Injury
- Normal Brain Development
- Neuropsychological Sequelae of Monogenic Disorders in Childhood
- Babikian, T., Satz, P., Zaucha, K., Light, R., Lewis, R.S., & Asarnow, R. F. (2011). The UCLA longitudinal study of neurocognitive outcomes following mild pediatric TBI, JINS 17(5), 886-95.
- Vu, J., Babikian, T., & Asarnow, R. F. (2011). Academic and language outcomes in children after Traumatic Brain Injury: A meta-analysis, Exceptional Children 77(3), 263-281.
- Cazalis, F., Babikian, T., Giza, C., Copeland, S., Hovda, D., & Asarnow, R.F. (2011). Pivotal role of anterior cingulate cortex in working memory after traumatic brain injury in youth, Frontiers in Neurotrauma, 1, 158.
- Babikian, T., Prins, M. L., Cai, Y., Barkhoudarian, G., Hartonian, I., Hovda, D. A., and Giza, C. C. (2010). Molecular and physiological responses to juvenile TBI: Focus on growth and metabolism, Developmental Neuroscience, 32(5-6), 431-41.
- Babikian, T., Marion, S., Copeland, S., Alger, J., O'Neill, J. O., Cazalis, F., Mink, R., Giza, C., Vu, J., Hilleary, S., Kernan, C., Newman, N., & Asarnow, R. F. (2010). Multimodal correlates of callosal dysfunction in moderate to severe pediatric TBI: A study of MRS, DTI, evoked potentials, and neurobehavior, Journal of Neurotrauma, 27(3), 473-81.
- Babikian, T. & Asarnow, R. F. (2009), Neurocognitive outcome and recovery following pediatric TBI: Meta-analytic review of the literature, Neuropsychology, 23(3), 283-96.
- Babikian, T., Tong, K. A., Galloway, N. R., Obenaus, A., Freier-Randall, M. C., & Ashwal, S. (2009). Acute diffusion weighted ADC maps predicting long-term neurocognitive outcome following pediatric TBI, Pediatric Neurology, 41(6), 406-412.
- Krivitzky, L., Babikian, T., Hattiangadi-Thomas, N., Burk-Paull, K.L., and Batshaw, M.L. (2009). Intellectual, adaptive, and behavioral functioning in children with urea cycle disorders, Pediatric Research, 66(1), 96-101.
- Paz-Filho, G.J., Babikian, T., Asarnow, R. F., Delibasi, T., Esposito, K., Kutlu, H. E., Wong, M., & Licinio, J. (2008). Leptin replacement improves cognitive development. PLoS ONE, 3(8), e3098.
- Ashwal, S., Babikian, T., Nichols, J., Freier, M.C., Tong, K.A., & Holshouser, B.A. (2006). Susceptibility-weighted imaging and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in assessment of outcome after pediatric traumatic brain injury. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 87(12 Suppl), 50-8.
- Babikian, T., Freier, M.C., Ashwal, S., Holshouser, B.A., Burley, T., & Riggs, M. (2006). MR Spectroscopy: Predicting neuropsychological outcome following pediatric TBI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 24(4), 801-11.
- Babikian, T. & Markosyan, K.M. (2006). HIV/AIDS in Armenia: A review of risk and protective factors of high-risk populations in Armenia. Journal of the Society for Armenian Studies, 15, 189-201.
- Markosyan, K.M., Babikian, T., DiClemente, R.J., Hirsch, J.S., & del Rio, C. (2006). Risk of Armenian Female Sex Workers: Determinants of Risk and Preventive Behaviors. AIDS and Behavior, 11(2), 325-34.
- Babikian, T., Boone, K., Lu, P., & Arnold, G. (2006). Sensitivity and specificity of various Digit Span scores in the detection of suspect effort. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 20(1), 145-159.
- Freier, M.C., McBride, D., Hopkins, G., Babikian, T., Richardson, L., Helm, H. (2005). Moving Research from Risk Assessment to Program Development & Intervention in International Settings. Journal of Urban Health, 82(3_suppl_4), iv9-iv15.
- Babikian, T., Freier, M.C., Ashwal, S., Holshouser, B.A., Burley, T., & Riggs, M. (2005). Susceptibility Weighted Imaging in the prediction of long-term neuropsychological outcome following pediatric TBI. Pediatric Neurology, 33(3), 184-194.
- McBride, D.C., Freier, M.C., Hopkins, G.L., Babikian, T., Richardson, L., Helm, H., Hopp Marshak, H., Boward, M.D., & Sector Health Care Affairs, St. Maarten, NA. (2005). Quality of parent-child relationship and adolescent HIV risk behavior in St. Maarten. AIDS Care, 17(Supplement 1), S45-S54.
- Hopkins, G.L., Freier, M.C., Babikian, T., Helm Jr., H.M., McBride, D.C., Boward, M., Gillespie, S., & DiClemente, R. (2004). Substance use among students attending a Christian university that strictly prohibits the use of substances. Journal of Research on Christian Education (Spring) 13(1), 23-29.
- Freier, M.C., Babikian, T., Pivonka, J., Burley Aaen, T., Gardner, J.M., Baum, M., Bailey, L.L., & Chinnock, R.E. (2004). A longitudinal perspective on neurodevelopmental outcome following infant cardiac transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 23(7), 857-864.
- Baum, M., Freier, M.C., Freeman, K., Babikian, T., Ashwal, S., Chinnock, R., & Bailey, L.L. (2004). Neuropsychological outcome of infant heart transplant recipients. Journal of Pediatrics, 145(3), 365-372.
- Babikian, T., Freier, M.C., Hopkins, G.L., DiClemente, R., McBride, D., & Riggs, M. (2004). An Assessment of HIV/AIDS Risk in Higher Education Students in Yerevan, Armenia. AIDS and Behavior, 8(1), 47-61.