Tamara Horwich, MD, MS is an attending cardiologist and Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Medicine/Cardiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. She is Medical Director of UCLA's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, including the Dr. Dean Ornish Comprehensive Lifestyle Program for Reversing Heart Disease, Co-Director of the UCLA Women's Cardiovascular Health Center, and an active member of the Ahmanson-UCLA Cardiomyopathy Center.
Dr. Horwich's clinical interests include treating and preventing heart disease in women, cardiac rehabilitation, treating patients with heart failure, and performing and interpreting echocardiograms. Dr. Horwich's main research interests include studying obesity, body composition and cardiovascular disease, as well as risk factors and novel therapies for patients with heart disease, with a focus on women. She has been a grant recipient from the National Institutes of Health, the Heart Failure Society of America, as well as the Iris Cantor Women's Center at UCLA. Dr. Horwich is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association and has helped draft national guidelines on management of heart failure. Dr. Horwich received a BA in History from Brown University and an MD from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. She then returned to her native Los Angeles to complete internal medicine residency and cardiology fellowship training at UCLA, during which time she also attained a Master’s of Science in Clinical Research from UCLA.
Medical Board Certifications
- Heart Failure
- Body Composition
- Diabetes in Heart Failure
- Women and Cardiovascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Prevention
- Srikanthan P, Horwich TB, Calfon Press M, Gornbein J, Watson KE. Sex Differences in the Association of Body Composition and Cardiovascular Mortality. J Am Heart Assoc. 2021 Feb;10(5):e017511. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.120.017511. Epub 2021 Feb 23. PMID: 33619971.
- Mirman AM, Nardoni NR, Chen AY, Horwich TB. Body Composition Changes During Traditional Versus Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation in Coronary Artery Disease. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2020 Nov;40(6):388-393. doi: 10.1097/HCR.0000000000000497. PMID: 32332249.
- Thomas E, Gupta PP, Fonarow GC, Horwich TB. Bioelectrical impedance analysis of body composition and survival in patients with heart failure. Clin Cardiol. 2019 Jan;42(1):129-135. doi: 10.1002/clc.23118. Epub 2018 Dec 4. PMID: 30447075; PMCID: PMC6436517.
- Horwich TB, Fonarow GC. Should I Participate in a Cardiac Rehabilitation Program? JAMA Cardiol. 2018 Nov 1;3(11):1136. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2018.3252. PMID: 30304406.
- Zipursky RT, Press MC, Srikanthan P, Gornbein J, McClelland R, Watson K, Horwich TB. Relation of Stress Hormones (Urinary Catecholamines/Cortisol) to Coronary Artery Calcium in Men Versus Women (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis [MESA]). Am J Cardiol. 2017 Jun 15;119(12):1963-1971. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.03.025. Epub 2017 Mar 29. PMID: 28456316.
- Chester RC, Gornbein JA, Hundley WG, Srikanthan P, Watson KE, Horwich T. Reflection Magnitude, a Measure of Arterial Stiffness, Predicts Incident Heart Failure in Men But Not Women: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). J Card Fail. 2017 May;23(5):353-362. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2017.01.002. Epub 2017 Jan 16. PMID: 28104534.
- Horwich TB, Fonarow GC. Prevention of Heart Failure. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Jan 1;2(1):116. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2016.3394. PMID: 27926764.
- Bozkurt B, Aguilar D, Deswal A, Dunbar SB, Francis GS, Horwich T, Jessup M, Kosiborod M, Pritchett AM, Ramasubbu K, Rosendorff C, Yancy C; American Heart Association Heart Failure and Transplantation Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology; Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing; Council on Hypertension; and Council on Quality and Outcomes Research. Contributory Risk and Management of Comorbidities of Hypertension, Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, Hyperlipidemia, and Metabolic Syndrome in Chronic Heart Failure: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016 Dec 6;134(23):e535-e578. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000450. Epub 2016 Oct 31. PMID: 27799274.
- Srikanthan P, Horwich TB, Tseng CH. Relation of Muscle Mass and Fat Mass to Cardiovascular Disease Mortality. Am J Cardiol. 2016 Apr 15;117(8):1355-60. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.01.033. Epub 2016 Feb 2. PMID: 26949037.
- Chyu J, Fonarow GC, Tseng CH, Horwich TB. Four-variable risk model in men and women with heart failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2014 Jan;7(1):88-95. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.113.000404. Epub 2013 Nov 26. PMID: 24281135.