Dr. Sallam is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a clinical cardiologist at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He is a member of the Atherosclerosis Research Unit and Cardiovascular Theme Initiative at UCLA. Dr. Sallam graduated from the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine. He completed residency and chief residency training in Internal Medicine at Yale, followed by Cardiology fellowship training at UCLA. Dr. Sallam graduated from the STAR program at UCLA earning a Ph.D. in Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology in the HHMI Lab of Peter Tontonoz. He joined the UCLA faculty after fellowship, where his research investigates the role of novel transcription factor regulatory circuits in cardiometabolic disease.
In 2015, Dr. Sallam has been awarded the Lauren B. Leichtman and Arthur E. Levine Cardiovascular Discovery Fund investigatorship at UCLA. Dr. Sallam is the recipient of an NIH K Award, American College of Cardiology Presidential Career Development Award, American Heart Association Early Career Investigator recognition, and American Society for Clinical Investigation Young Investigator Award. Dr. Sallam currently serves as co-director of the UCLA Center for Cholesterol Management and Assistant Director of the UCLA Specialty Training and Advanced Research (STAR) Program.
Medical Board Certifications
- Sallam T, Jones MC, Gilliland T, Zhang L, Wu X, Eskin A, Sandhu J, Casero D, Vallim TQ, Hong C, Katz M, Lee R, Whitelegge J, Tontonoz P. Feedback modulationof cholesterol metabolism by the lipid-responsive non-coding RNA LeXis. Nature. 2016 May 11;534(7605):124-8.
- Wong MD, Guerrero L, Sallam T, Frank JS, Fogelman AM, Demer LL. Outcomes of a Novel Training Program for Physician-Scientists: Integrating Graduate Degree Training With Specialty Fellowship. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 Feb;8(1):85-90.
- Edris A, Gordin J, Sallam T, Wachsner R, Meymandi S, Traina M. Facilitated patent haemostasis after transradial catheterisation to reduce radial artery occlusion. EuroIntervention. 2015 Nov;11(7):765-71.
- Mitchell A, Misialek JR, Folsom AR, Duprez D, Alonso A, Jerosch-Herold M, Sanchez OA, Watson KE, Sallam T, Konety SH. Usefulness of N-terminal Pro-brain Natriuretic Peptide and Myocardial Perfusion in Asymptomatic Adults (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2015 May 15;115(10):1341-5.
- Lee C, Zeng J, Drew BG, Sallam T, Martin-Montalvo A, Wan J, Kim SJ, Mehta H,Hevener AL, de Cabo R, Cohen P. The mitochondrial-derived peptide MOTS-c promotes metabolic homeostasis and reduces obesity and insulin resistance. Cell Metab.2015 Mar 3;21(3):443-54.
- Parks BW, Sallam T, Mehrabian M, Psychogios N, Hui ST, Norheim F, Castellani LW, Rau CD, Pan C, Phun J, Zhou Z, Yang WP, Neuhaus I, Gargalovic PS, Kirchgessner TG, Graham M, Lee R, Tontonoz P, Gerszten RE, Hevener AL, Lusis AJ. Genetic architecture of insulin resistance in the mouse. Cell Metab. 2015 Feb 3;21(2):334-46.
- Sallam T, Ito A, Rong X, Kim J, van Stijn C, Chamberlain BT, Jung ME, Chao LC, Jones M, Gilliland T, Wu X, Su GL, Tangirala RK, Tontonoz P, Hong C. The macrophage LBP gene is an LXR target that promotes macrophage survival and atherosclerosis. J Lipid Res. 2014 Jun;55(6):1120-30.
- Edris A, Sallam T, Traina MI. A wrong turn in embryologic development: a case of a primary right ventricular intracardiac tumor. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Apr 8;63(13):e29. 24530678.
- Sallam T, Watson KE. Predictors of cardiovascular risk in women. Womens Health. (Lond Engl). 2013 Sep;9(5):491-8.
- Sallam T, Cheng H, Demer LL, Tintut Y. Regulatory circuits controlling vascular cell calcification. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013 Sep;70(17):3187-97.
- 2016 American Society for Clinical Investigation Young Physician-Scientist Award
- 2015 American Heart Association Early career Award (ATVB Council)-Finalist
- 2015 American College of Cardiology Presidential Career Development Award
- 2014 1st place - Department of Medicine Research Day UCLA Basic Science-Junior Faculty
- 2013 American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2013 Chief Fellow, UCLA Specialty Training and Advanced Research (STAR) Program
- 2013 UCLA Division of Cardiology Fellow Research Award
- 2013 Chief Fellow, UCLA Division of Cardiology
- 2011 Tibor Fabian Research Award-UCLA STAR Program
- 2012 UCLA Division of Cardiology Fellow Teaching Award
- 2009 Chief Resident in Internal Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital
- 008 Yale New Haven Hospital Chief Award
- 2004 James S McGoey Research Award-Medical School
- 2004 Inductee - Gold Humanism Honor Society
- 2003 President American Medical Association-Medical Student Section
- 2002 UCI Academic Excellence Award
- 2002 UCI College of Medicine Service Award