Preferred Name: Cage
Dr. Hall is a psychiatrist and anthropologist with research and clinical interests in substance use disorders, mood disorders, personality, sexuality, and HIV, among other areas. He is board certified in adult psychiatry and addiction medicine. He joined the Center for Behavioral & Addiction Medicine (CBAM) in 2011 as a postdoctoral fellow and later became assistant clinical professor in the Department of Family Medicine. He earned his AB magna cum laude Harvard College and then his MD and a PhD in psychological anthropology from UCSD. Before residency at UCLA-NPI in adult psychiatry, he also did postdoctoral training at the University of Chicago in the Department of Human Development and the Center on Aging/NORC. His research interests include social and psychological processes of sexual identity development, particularly as they relate to addiction and HIV prevention, mostly though not only among men who have sex with men (MSM). Geographically, he conducts research in Los Angeles, California, and Prague, Czech Republic. His current research efforts explore how the aspects of sexual identity mediate risk behavior or accessibility to HIV prevention interventions. He also teaches a course in gender & sexuality at the New Center for Psychoanalysis.
Medical Board Certifications
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
UCLA Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital
- Hall, Timothy M.; Simone Schriger; & Steven Shoptaw. (2019) "Problematic Sexual Behavior." In: Richard K. Ries; David A. Fiellin; Shannon C. Miller; Richard J. Rosenthal; & Richard Saitz, eds. Principles of Addiction Medicine, 6th Edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Pp: 630-647.
- Hall, Timothy M.; Cathy Reback; & Steven Shoptaw. (2015) "Clinical Management of Substance Use and Substance Use Disorders Among LGBT Individuals." In: Kenneth Mayer, Hilary Goldhammer & Harvey J. Makadon, eds. Fenway Guide to LGBT Health, 2nd Edition. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians.
- Hall, Timothy M. (2009) "Stories from the Second World: narratives of sexual identity in the Czech Republic across three generations of MSMs." In: Phillip L. Hammack & Bertram J. Cohler, eds. The Story of Sexual Identity: Narrative perspectives on the gay and lesbian life course. New York: Oxford University Press. Pp: 77-130.
- Hall, Timothy M; Steven Shoptaw; & Cathy Reback (2015). Brief Communication: "Sometimes Poppers are not Poppers: huffing as an emergent heath concern among MSM substance abusers." Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health. 19(1): 118-121. doi: 10.1080/19359705.2014.973180. PMID: 25893032. PMC4399803.
- Stemmler, M. Susan; Timothy M. Hall; Petr Prokopík; & Steven J. Shoptaw. (2015) "Time-site survey of substance use, sexual behaviours and HIV-testing practices among women attending social venues in Prague." Central European Journal of Public Health, 23(2) 111-117. PMCID: PMC4762036.
- Heinzerling, Keith; Swanson, Aimee-Noelle; Hall, Timothy; Yi, Yi; Wu, Yingnian; Shoptaw, Steve. (2014) "Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of bupropion in methamphetamine-dependent participants with less than daily methamphetamine use." Addiction. Aug 2014. doi: 10.1111/add.12636. PMC4192025.
- Adbul-Kabir, Wajidah; Timothy M. Hall; Aimee-Noelle Swanson; & Steven Shoptaw. (2014) "Intimate Partner Violence and Reproductive Health Among Methamphetamine-Using Women in Los Angeles: A Qualitative Pilot Study." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 46 (4), 310–316, 2014. doi:10.1080/02791072.2014.934978. PMID: 25188701. PMCID: PMC4188630.
- Hall, Timothy M. (2007) "Rent-boys, barflies, and kept men: men involved in sex with men for compensation in Prague." Sexualities, 10(4): 457-472. doi: 10.1177/1363460707080983.
- Hall, Timothy M. (2005) "Pivo at the heart of Europe: beer-drinking and Czech identities." In: Thomas M. Wilson, ed. Drinking Cultures: alcohol and identity. Oxford/New York: Berg Publishers. Pp: 65-86.
In the News
- "Smaller doses of monkeypox vaccine got the OK. Here’s how that works at one clinic" The Los Angeles Times, August 12, 2022.
- "Sex pods? Long sleeves? Californians try to cut monkeypox risk while waiting for shots" The Los Angeles Times, August 7, 2022.
- "Queer in Print" The Harvard Crimson, October 4, 2018.
- "Danger to Gay Men Huffing Poppers" Psychology Today, February 12, 2015.
- "When Poppers are not Poppers" San Francisco AIDS Foundation. February 12, 2015.
- "What's that I smell? New 'poppers' are not what you think" Science Daily, January 13, 2015.
Note: News website links may expire without notice.