Viktor Szeder, MD, PhD
Dr. Viktor Szeder is a NeuroInterventionalist, specialist in minimally invasive NeuroEndovascular surgical treatment of cerebrovascular disorders. He is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UCLA and faculty member of the Division of Interventional Neuroradiology.
Dr. Szeder treats adult and pediatric patients using the most advanced minimally invasive techniques for stroke, carotid artery stenosis, brain aneurysms, arteriovenous vascular malformations, subarachnoid hemorrhage, dural arteriovenous fistulas, brain hemorrhage, facial and neck vascular malformations, head/neck/nose bleeding as well as brain/spine tumor embolizations and spine interventions.
Dr. Szeder came to UCLA in 2011 from Columbia University in New York, where he completed three year fellowship training in Vascular Neurology/Stroke and NeuroCritical care 2008-2011.
After completing two year NeuroInterventional fellowship training at UCLA, he accepted a faculty position at UCLA in 2013.
He earned his M.D. degree as recipient of merit scholarship for academic achievements – honor student and Ph.D. degree in Neurosciences from Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
Dr. Szeder also earned M.Sc. degree from Columbia University in New York, in Patient Oriented Research/Biostatistics as recipient of full scholarship award.
He completed residency training in Neurology at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, where he received the David Fine Award for the outstanding performance in residency, and where he also served as Chief Neurology Resident in 2007-2008.
Dr. Szeder’s clinical practice and research focuses on improving patient outcomes using advanced NeuroInterventional/NeuroEndovascular minimally invasive surgical techniques particularly in treatment of acute stroke, brain aneurysms, AVMs, dural fistulas as well as NeuroInterventional systems of care. He has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific articles and book chapters, over 80 scientific abstracts.
He has lectured around the world on variety of cerebrovascular topics and serves as publications reviewer of several main scientific journals of the specialty.
He is co-investigator for many national and international clinical studies testing new devices, technology and improved treatments for stroke, brain aneurysms and vascular malformations.
Dr. Szeder is passionate about teaching and education of medical students, residents and fellows and is the Co-Director of the Interventional Neuroradiology fellowship-training program at UCLA.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Pan J, Xiao F, Szeder V, Yan M, Fan W, Gu J, He L, Zhan R. Stent, balloon-assisted coiling and double microcatheter for treating wide-neck aneurysms in anterior cerebral circulation. Neurol Res. Jun 20. [Epub ahead of print], 2013.
- Szeder V, Ortega-Gutierrez S, Ziai W, Torbey M. The TRACH Score Clinical and Radiological of Tracheostomy in Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care 13:40-46, 2010.
- Ruff IM, Strozyk D, Rahman C, Szeder V, Pile-Spellman J, Marshall RS. Clinical reasoning: a 21-year-old woman with right eye swelling and bruising. Neurology 75:2039-2044, 2010.
- Ortega-Gutierrez S, Wolfe T, Pandya D, Szeder V, Lopez-Vicente M, Zaidat OO. Neurologic complications in non-neurological intensive care units. Neurologist 15:254-267, 2009.
- Szeder V and Mayer SA. Blood Pressure Reduction for Acute Intracerebral Hemorrhage: How Low Can You Go? Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 8:505-507, 2008.
- Szeder V, Torbey MT. Prevention and Treatment of Perioperative Stroke. Neurologist 14:30-36, 2008.
- Zaidat OO, Szeder V, Alexander MJ. Transbrachial Stent-Assisted Coil Embolization Of Right Posterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery Aneurysm: Technical Case Report. J Neuroimaging 17:344-347, 2007.
- Szeder V, Ortega-Gutierrez S, Frank M, Jaradeh SS. CNS blastomycosis – young healthy male working in fields post hurricane Katrina. Neurology 68:1746-1747, 2007.
- DeYoe EA, Ulmer J, Mueller WM, Hacein-Bey L, Szeder V, Maciejewski MJ, Medler K, Reitsma D, Mathis J. FMRI of Human Visual Pathways. Functional Neuroradiology: Principles and Clinical Applications. S Faro & F B Mohamed, Springer, New York, NY, ISBN-10: 1441903437, 2011.
- Szeder V, Wolfe T, Lynch JR, Fitzsimmons BF, Zaidat OO. Ruptured Hypophyseal artery aneurysm. Chapter 4, Treatment of Aneurysms and Pseudo-aneurysmal Lesions. In: Atlas of Interventional Neurology, eds. Qureshi AI and Georgiadis AL, Demos Medical Publishing, LLC, New York, NY, ISBN: 978-1-933864-31-0, p. 122, 2009.
- Szeder V. Abscess, Brain. In: The Little Black Book of Neurology, 5th Edition, eds. Zaidat OO and Lerner AJ, Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 1-3, 2008.
- Szeder V. Quadriplegia. In: The Little Black Book of Neurology, 5th Edition, eds. Zaidat OO and Lerner AJ, Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 548-552, 2008.
- Szeder V, Selim M, Torbey MT. Perioperative Stroke. In: The Stroke Book, eds. Torbey MT and Selim MH, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, pp. 239-249, 2007.
- 2009 POR Scholar (Patient-Oriented Research) - full tuition scholarship awarded for Master of Science in Biostatistics, provided by the Columbia University Medical Center Clinical Trials Office and the Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY
- 2008 David I. M. Fine Award - for outstanding performance during postgraduate residency training (resident with most publications achieved during residency), Dept. of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- 2008 Highlighted abstract/poster, selected for the Scientific Highlights Session, Stroke Critical Care at the AAN (American Academy of Neurology), 60th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
- 2007 Elected to the AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) National Honor Medical Society, for the dedication to teaching and education of medical students, AOA MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin) - Beta Chapter, Milwaukee, WI
- 2006 Highlighted abstract/poster, selected for the Scientific Highlights Session, Stroke/Critical Care at the AAN (American Academy of Neurology), 58th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2005 Francis M. Foster Award of WNS (Wisconsin Neurological Society), for the best oral presentation at the Wisconsin Neurological Society Meeting, Wisconsin Dells, WI
- 2004 Scientific Exhibit Summa cum Laude Award at ASNR (American Society of Neuroradiology) Meeting, Seattle, WA
- 2003 Presley-Zeiss Postdoctoral Fellow Slide Presentation Award of AAA (American Association of Anatomists) for excellence in research using light and/or electron microscopy, Runner-up, Experimental Biology Meeting of FASEB, San Diego, CA
- 2003 Annual Award of the Czech Anatomical Society and OLYMPUS, best publication of the year 2003, Czech Anatomical Society Meeting, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
- 2000 International Neurological Science Fellowship Award of NINDS (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke), Individual NRSA Postdoctoral Fellowship F05 grant awarded