Dr. Chang earned her bachelor's degree at Wellesley College and received her medical degree from the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine. She completed her pediatric residency at the University of Chicago, Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago and then completed her fellowship training in Pediatric Hematology-oncology at UCLA. In 2012, Dr. Chang joined the UCLA faculty, where she established the Cancer Predisposition Clinic with colleagues in genetics, to provide multidisciplinary clinical care of patients and families with genetic cancer susceptibility and facilitate research in this area.
Dr. Chang's research interests focus on the genetics of rare tumors, cancer predisposition, leukemogenesis, and hematopoietic stem cells after injury and aging.
Clinical interests include genetic cancer susceptibility syndromes, with a particular interest in DNA repair disorders, neurofibromatoses, overgrowth syndromes, and rare pediatric tumors. She provides outpatient clinical care at the Children's Health Center (200 Medical Plaza, Westwood), and inpatient clinical care at Santa Monica Hospital and Ronald Reagan Medical Center.
Medical Board Certifications
- Chang VY, Federman N, Martinez-Agosto J, Tatishchev SF, Nelson SF. Whole Exome Sequencing of Pediatric Gastric Adenocarcinoma Reveals an Atypical Presentation of Li-Fraumeni Syndrome. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Apr;60(4):570-4.
- Chang VY, Basso G, Sakamoto KM, Nelson SF. Identification of Somatic Mutations using Whole Exome Sequencing of Congenital Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. BMC Cancer. 2013 Feb 4;13:55.
- Lee H, Deignan J, Dorrani N, Strom S, Kantarci S, Quintero-Rivera F, Das K, Toy T, Harry B, Yourshaw M, Fox M, Fogel B, Martinez-Agosto J, Wong DA, Chang VY, Shieh PB, Palmer CGS, Dipple K, Grody WW, Vilain E, Nelson SF. Clinical Exome Sequencing for Genetic Identification of Rare Mendelian Disorders. JAMA. 2014 Oct 18.
- *Paganini I, *Chang VY, Capone G, Vitte J, Benelli M, Barbetti L, Sestini R, Trevisson E, Hulsebos T, #Giovannini M, #Nelson SF, #Papi L. Expanding the Mutational Spectrum of LZTR1 in Schwannomatosis. European Journal of Human Genetics. 2015 Jul;23(7):963-8.
- *Lee DK, *Chang VY, Kee T, Ho CM, Ho D. Optimizing Combination Therapy for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Using a Phenotypic Personalized Medicine Digital Health Platform: Retrospective Optimization Individualizes Patient Regimens to Maximize Efficacy and Safety. J Lab Autom. 2016 Dec 5. pii: 2211068216681979. Epub ahead of print *denotes co-first author
- Walsh MF, Chang VY, Kohlmann WK, Scott HS, Cunniff C, Bourdeaut C, Molenaar JJ, Porter CC, Sandlund JT, Plon S, Wang LL, Savage S. Recommendations for Cancer Screening and Surveillance in DNA Repair Disorders: A Report from the AACR Childhood Cancer Predisposition Workshop. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 June 12:11.
- Evans DG, Salvador H, Chang VY, Erez A, Voss SD, Wolfe Schneider K, Scott HS, Plon SE, Tabori U. Cancer and Central Nervous System Tumor Surveillance in Pediatric Neurofibromatosis 1. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 June 15. 23:12; doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-0589.
- Evans DG, Salvador H, Chang VY, Erez A, Voss SD, Druker H, Scott HS, Tabori U. Cancer and Central Nervous System Tumor Surveillance in Pediatric Neurofibromatosis 2 and Related Disorders. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 June. 23:12; doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-0590.
- Chang VY, Termini CM, Chute JP. Young Endothelial Cells Revive Aging Blood. J Clin Invest. 2017 Nov 1;127(11):3921-3922. doi: 10.1172/JCI97707. Epub 2017 Oct 16.
- Chang VY, Wang JJ. Pharmacogenetics of Chemotherapy-Induced Cardiotoxicity. Current Oncology Reports. 2018 April. 20:52.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021