Dr. William Oppenheim is Emeritis Chief, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Distinguished Professor of Pediatric Orthopaedics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, the Margaret Holden Jones Kaanar Professor of Cerebral Palsy, Director of the Center for Cerebral Palsy, and Past President of the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine. He is a Past President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Western Orthopaedic Association, a member of the Bay Surgical Society, and a four-time winner of America's Best Doctors designee.
Dr. William L. Oppenheim has written over 65 peer-reviewed publications, 21 textbook chapters, and presented over 280 presentations at National and International Meetings.
He is a member of the Pediatric Orthopedic Society, the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy, and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, and has served as a Visiting Professor in Europe, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, and various institutions throughout the United States.
Medical Board Certifications
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Cerebral Palsy
- Beck JJ, Boguszewski DV, Joshi NB, Cheung ED, Bowen RE, Oppenheim WL. A novel method for determining sagittal pediatric patellar height with the Blumensaat-Epiphyseal Containment of the Knee Angle. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Part B [06 June 2018]. DOI: 10.1097/BPB.0000000000000527. (PMID:29878975)
- Fowler EG, Oppenheim WL, Greenberg MB, Staudt LA, Joshi SH and Silverman DHS (2020) Brain metabolism during a lower extremity voluntary movement task in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 14:159. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2020.00159
- Ali, O.,Shim, M., Fowler, E., Greenberg. M., Perkins, D., Oppenhiem, W., and Cohen, P.: Growth Hormone Therapy Improves Bone Mineral Density in Children with Cerebral Palsy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.2007; 92: 932-937.
- Oppenheim, WL: The Internet 2006, Editorial. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2006, 48: 707
- Ali, O., Shim, M., Fowler, E., Cohen, P., and Oppenheim, W.:Spinal Bone Mineral Density, IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 in Children with Cerebral Palsy. Hormone Research. 2007 Oct 2;68(6):316-320 [Epub ahead of print]
- Oppenheim WL. Complimentary and Alternative Methods in Cerebral Palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2009 Oct;51 Suppl 4:122-9. Review.
- Fowler EG, Staudt LA, Greenberg MB, Oppenheim WL.Selective Control Assessment of the Lower Extremity (SCALE): development, validation, and interrater reliability of a clinical tool for patients with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2009 Aug;51(8):607-14. Epub 2009 Feb 12.
- Goldberg EJ, Fowler EG, Oppenheim WL.Case Reports: The Influence of Selective Voluntary Motor Control on Gait After Hamstring Lengthening Surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 May;470(5):1320-6.
- Reid, JR, Kremen, TJ, and Oppenheim, WL. Death After Closed Adolescent Knee Injury and Popliteal Artery Occlusion. A case report and Clinical Review. Sports Health, 2013 Nov 5(6):558-61 doi 10 1177/1941738113498068
- Fowler EG, Rao S, Nattiv A, Heberer K, Oppenheim W. Bone Density in Premenopausal Women and Men Under 50 Years of Age With Cerebral Palsy Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 03/2015; DOI:10.1016/j.apmr.2015.03.012
- Distinguished Service Award, Section on Orthopedics, American Academy of Pediatrics 2018
- Southern California Super Doctors 2008-2016
- America's Best Doctors 2015-2016 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 1999
- Named to The Best Doctors in America, 1999, 2004, 2007—2016. www.bestdoctors.com Boston, MA
- Who's Who in America, 2009-2015 Edition, Marquis Who's Who in America, Providence, NJ
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition, 2011-15 http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_William_L_Oppenheim
- America's Top Doctors, 2009--2015,Castle Connolly, Boca Raton, FL.
- Marquis Who's Who in the World, 2011-15 (28th Edition). 890 Mountain Ave. Suite 300, New Providence, NJ 07974.
- LA Magazine Super Doctors, 2014, 2015
- Top Doctors, Hollywood Reporter 2015
- Western Orthopaedic Association, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, July 2015
- First place poster award for Blumensaat-Epiphyseal Containment of the Knee (BECK): A New Radiological Tool For Determining Patellar Height at the 79th Annual meeting
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Academy for Cerebral Palsy, Austin, TX, October 2015
- Marquis Who's Who in the World, 2011 (28th Edition).
- Who's Who in America, 2010, 2009
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, Boca Raton, FL, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- America's Top Orthopedists, Consumer's Research Council of America, Washington, DC, 2009
- Endowed Chair, Margaret Holden Jones Kanaar Chair in Cerebral Palsy, 2004
- White Swan Award, Cerebral Palsy, Abilities First Foundation, Beverly Hills, 2000
- Past President, American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine