Dr. Yu is a board certified dermatologist. She specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various skin, hair, and nail disorders. Her specific research interests include acne, the skin microbiome, and the utility of probiotics in dermatology.
Dr. Yu attended college at UCLA, graduating Summa Cum Laude with Honors. She received her medical degree from the University of California Irvine, where she was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society as a junior. She then returned to UCLA to conduct research, before her intern year at the UCLA-Olive View Medical Center. She finished her training and completed her dermatology residency at the University of Cincinnati in Ohio, serving as chief resident during her last year.
Dr. Yu is delighted to be back in Southern California and at UCLA. When she is not working, she enjoys hiking, reading fantasy novels, and traveling.
Medical Board Certification
- Lor M, Gates G, Yu Y. Eosinophilic dermatosis of hematologic malignancy effectively controlled with omalizumab maintenance therapy. Dermatol Ther. 2020 Nov;33(6):e14206. doi: 10.1111/dth.14206. Epub 2020 Sep 8. PMID: 32816408.
- Yu Y, Dunaway S, Champer J, Kim J, Alikhan A. Changing our Microbiome: Probiotics in Dermatology. Br J Dermatol. 2019 May 3. doi: 10.1111/bjd.18088. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31049923
- Dunaway S, Yu Y, Neltner S. Development of Aggressive Squamous Cell Carcinoma with Perineural Invasion During Ruxolitinib Treatment. Dermatologic Surgery. 45(5):734-736, 2019. PMID: 30080700
- Tadros J, Yu Y, Lucky AW. Visual Diagnosis: Annular Lesions in a 3-month old girl. Pediatrics in Review. 40(4): e14-e17, 2019. PMID: 30936406
- Mannering I, Yu Y, Grando SA. Intravenous Immunoglobulin: Dermatologic Uses and Mechanisms of Action. Clinical and Basic Immunodermatology. Springer, 2017.
- Yu Y, Champer J, Agak G, Kao S, Modlin RL, Kim J. Different Propionibacterium acnes Phylotypes Induce Distinct Immune Responses and Express Unique Surface and Secreted Proteomes. J Invest Dermatol, 136(11), 2221-2228, 2016. PMID: 27377696
- Yu Y, Champer J, Kim J. Analysis of the surface, secreted, and intracellular proteome of Propionibacterium acnes. EuPA Open Proteom 9: 1-7, 2015. PMID: 28083470
- Yu Y, Champer J, Beynet DP, Kim J, Friedman AJ. The role of the cutaneous microbiome in skin cancer: Lessons learned from the gut. J Drugs Dermatol 14(5):461-5, 2015. PMID: 25942663
- Agak GW, Schmidt NW, Deshayes S, Yu Y, Blacker A, Champer J, Xian W, Garbàn H, Kasko AM, Kim J, Wong GCL. PenTobra: An aminoglycoside with robust antimicrobial & membrane activity against Propionibacterium acnes. J Invest Dermatol 135(6):1581-1589, 2015. PMID: 25668237
- Yu Y, Champer J, Garbán H, Kim J. Typing of Propionibacterium acnes: a review of methods and comparative analysis. Br J Dermatol172(5):1204-1209, 2015. PMID: 25600912
- The Mutasim Humanitarian Award
- ASDS Premier Annual Resident Cosmetic Scholarship
- AΩA Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship Award
- American Acne & Rosacea Society Clinical Research Grant