Departments inviting individuals to volunteer through the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Program should review the following Volunteer Guidelines to ensure that the proposed activities and roles are in compliant with UCLA policies and guidelines before proceeding to complete the Scope of Duties Forms:
- Required Commitments:
- Minimum duration of assignment is 3 months (90 days) AND 50 hours.
- Maximum duration of assignment is 24 months (2 year)
- Renewals are reviewed and granted on a case by case basis by the Volunteer Office. Additional forms will be required.
- Renewing volunteers/SRP should still submit an online Pre-Screening Application to ensure eligibility is intact.
- Completion Certificates for the entire program requires a MINIMUM of 100 Hours and the RETURN of your Volunteer ID Badge to the Volunteer Office.
- Individuals will need to re-complete to the entire clearance process if they are not able to provide service onsite for more than 120 days and require reinstatement of their active status.
- Parameters in which your prospective Assignment must follow:
- COVID-19 UPDATES:
- Clinical Program Volunteers and Minor Volunteers: In-person and onsite volunteering are currently being reviewed and approved case by case for cleared volunteers. More information can be found here: https://www.uclahealth.org/volunteer/cuhs-return-to-service-approval-process
- Non-Clinical Program Volunteers: In-person and onsite volunteering are permitted once they complete the clearance process AND COVID requirements (will be sent to them by program coordinator).
- Note: Minor Volunteers in the Non-Clinical Program are reviewed case by case depending on Departmental policies.
- Remote Volunteering (restrictions and other approvals apply) are optional and temporary for those eligible and have completed the clearance process for their assignment. (VPN access are not permitted)
- Volunteers may not be COMPLETELY remote: applicants must be within the local area (Greater Los Angeles) and/or be able to come for onsite volunteering (under supervision) once normal operations resume for proper supervision.
- Locations of services (when operations return to almost normal) MUST be at the UCLA Westwood/Santa Monica UCLA medical campuses.
- ALL duites and responsibilities must be within their approved Scope of Duties form, addendum forms, and Personal Device Form. Any changes or additions to their role and duties must be reviewed for approval by the Volunteer Office in order to perform new duies.
- CANNOT include any type of training and/or practicum activity in which a professional certificate, degree (ex. MD), or license will be involved.
- CANNOT resemble any type of training, clinical work, medical services, or work that the volunteer may expect monetary compensation in the future (i.e. trial periods before being hired, to start working before being hired, or to perform unpaid work or services until being hired).
Volunteers may not be substituted as a solution for the Hiring Freeze, please check with HR and the Redeployment Office if you have staffing issues or hiriing issues.
- Volunteers are NOT permitted to be substituted as a solution for the current “hiring freeze”, please check with HR and the Redeployment Office if you have staffing issues or hiring issues.
- CANNOT include shadowing/observing as part of their assignment or role (exceptions: Formalized Approved Shadowing Program designated shifts).
- CANNOT have shifts that are on an “on-call” or sporadic basis. Shifts for an assignment should be consistent and predictable (i.e. weekly, biweekly basis, etc.)
- CANNOT replace or supplant a paid position (including work-study or part-time paid positions).
- The Inviting Supervisor must be a current Career Employee of UCLA Health/Schools (CANNOT be a Work-Study, Per Diem/Temporary, Retired, Contractors, Casual/Restricted, or Float Pool Employee).
- Additional guidelines are listed on Section 1 of the Volunteer's Scope Duties Form and other additional parameters may be required as each assignment is under a case by case review.
- Certain activities and accesses may require other approvals.
To proceed, please return to the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Program Homepage for more information.