Natural History Study of Individuals With Autism and Germline Heterozygous PTEN Mutations
The purpose of this study is to determine cross-sectional and longitudinal medical, behavioral, and cognitive differences between PTEN ASD and other groups, as well as to identify cognitive, neural systems, and molecular biomarkers specific to PTEN ASD. In addition, this study will be creating and maintaining a biorepository and linked phenotypic database for PTEN ASD.
- Individuals above the age of 18 months old at the time of consent who have documentation of a clinical diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder and/or a verified PTEN mutation from a medical or mental health professional for inclusion in the PTEN ASD, PTEN no-ASD or ASD macrocephaly groups.
- Macrocephaly (head circumference greater than or equal to 98th percentile) for inclusion in the ASD macrocephaly group.
- For youths, consent from parents or legal guardian. For adults, consent from self or legal guardian.
- Youths who are able (some young or severely impaired participants may not be able to provide assent) will be asked to provide assent as per IRB guidelines.
- Families with multiple children who meet the above inclusion criteria will be permitted to have as many children participate as they wish. A separate consent form will be filled out for each child enrolled in the study.
- Primary communicative language must be English
- Unwilling or unable to comply with study procedures and assessments
- Clinically significant medical disease that would prohibit participation in the study procedures.
- For subjects ELIGIBLE FOR OPTIONAL imaging biomarker assessment: contraindications to 3T MRI scanning, such as metal implants/non-compatible medical devices or medical conditions, including vagus nerve stimulator.
- For subjects ELIGIBLE FOR EEG/ERP biomarker assessment: contraindications to EEG/ERP, such as uncooperative or destructive behaviors preventing lead placement or capture by ERP/VEP equipment. Under age 2 or over 11 at the time of enrollment.