Medical students interested in rotating within the Division of Dermatology should visit this link for more information on the application process. The electives in the Division of Dermatology (ME215.01, ME215.06 and ME315.01) may be found within the Course List section under the Department of Medicine’s Advanced Clinical Clerkship electives. Specific details on the rotation may be found within the Course Description section.
In addition to the application, a curriculum vitae with USMLE scores is also required to apply.
UCLA Division of Dermatology Diversity Scholarship for Fourth-Year Visiting Medical Students
The UCLA Division of Dermatology has established a Diversity Scholarship to support students interested in dermatology training and a subsequent academic career. All upcoming fourth-year medical students with an interest in equity, diversity, and inclusion are encouraged to apply including:
- Students that are underrepresented in Medicine (URM/UIM)
- Students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Students from communities that are affected by healthcare inequities
- Students with an interest in underserved populations and/or healthcare disparities
II. Application Process:
Through the application, students should demonstrate how their background and experience help to promote an environment of inclusive excellence.
- Apply to the Dermatology Elective of your choice through the VSLO website.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a medical school faculty member or research mentor in any medical specialty.
- Provide your personal essay (see details in Section III “Application Requirements Include”).
Email your confirmation of applying through VSLO, letter of recommendation, and personal essay (no less than 60 days in advance of the rotation start date) to Christopher Song at [email protected]. The selection committee will notify applicants that are awarded scholarships.
III. Application Requirements Include:
- Meeting VSLO application requirements
- Rising 4th year medical student in good standing in an accredited United States Medical School
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive excellence
- Submit a personal essay (maximum 500 words) detailing your interest in dermatology, pertinent information about your diversity-related experiences and activities, and any financial challenges. Due April 1, 2023. Additionally, your personal essay should share your background and experience in response to the following questions:
- How would your background and experience help to promote an environment of inclusive excellence and contribute to a diverse educational and working environment?
- How are you equipped to serve a diverse patient population during residency?
- Being available for a rotation between June 1st and September 30th
- Planning to apply for the Dermatology Match
IV. Rotation Requirements:
Participation in a three-week clerkship at either Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center or Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center.
The scholarship helps support elective application and travel costs including transportation, accommodation, and meals up to a maximum of $2,000. Receipts are due at the conclusion of the rotation for reimbursement to the student.
For questions regarding the UCLA Division of Dermatology’s diversity scholarship for fourth-year visiting medical students, please contact Christopher Song at [email protected].
For information on inclusive excellence at UCLA Health, please visit https://www.uclahealth.org/why-choose-us/about/hedi