The May Laboratory uses implementation science methodologies and frameworks to design, implement, and study evidence-based projects at UCLA Health, the Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, and Federally Qualified Health Centers.
Programs are tailored to the specific needs of each health system and include patient education and outreach, provider education, care coordination, and improvements in processes of care.
In all settings, this work require partnership with system administrators and quality improvements experts to achieve national guidelines and benchmarks.
Projects center around appropriate use of health care services, including screening tests, colonoscopy, and upper endoscopy. Interventions to improve appropriateness reduce unnecessary endoscopy and ensure appropriate use of proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux disease.
- John N. Mafi, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Catherine Sarkisian, MD, MSHS, Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Katherine Kahn, MD, Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Publications - Full List of May Lab Publications Here
- Goshgarian G, Sorourdi C, May FP, Vangala S, Meshkat S, Roh L, Han MA, Croymans DM. Effect of Patient Portal Messaging Before Mailing Fecal Immunochemical Test Kit on Colorectal Cancer Screening Rates: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Feb 1;5(2):e2146863. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.46863. PMID: 35119462; PMCID: PMC8817202
- Peterson E, May FP, Kachikian O, Soroudi C, Naini B, Kang Y, Myint A, Guyant G, Elmore J, Bastani R, Maehara C, Hsu W. Automated identification and assignment of colonoscopy surveillance recommendations for individuals with colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc. 2021 Nov;94(5):978-987. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2021.05.036. Epub 2021 Jun 1. PMID: 34087201
- Soroudi C, Mafi J, Myint A, Gardner J, Kahlon S, Mongare M, Yang L, Tseng CH, Reynolds C, Nair V, Villaflores C, Cates R, Gupta R, Sarkisian C, May FP. Leveraging Electronic Health Records to Measure Low-Value Screening Colonoscopy. Am J Med. 2022 Jun;135(6):715-720.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2021.12.008. Epub 2022 Feb 25. PMID: 35219690
- Kardashian A, Patel AA, Aby ES, Cusumano VT, Soroudi C, Winters AC, Wu E, Beah P, Delshad S, Kim N, Yang L, May FP. Identifying Quality Gaps in Preventive Care for Outpatients With Cirrhosis Within a Large, Academic Health Care System. Hepatol Commun. 2020 Sep 9;4(12):1802-1811. doi: 10.1002/hep4.1594. PMID: 33305151; PMCID: PMC7706302
- Mafi JN, May FP, Kahn KL, Chong M, Corona E, Yang L, Mongare MM, Nair V, Reynolds C, Gupta R, Damberg CL, Esrailian E, Sarkisian C. Low-Value Proton Pump Inhibitor Prescriptions Among Older Adults at a Large Academic Health System. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 Sep 5;. doi: 10.1111/jgs.16117. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31486549
- Yu C, Skootsky S, Grossman M, Garner OB, Betlachin A, Esrailian E, Hommes DW, May FP. A Multi-Level Fit-Based Quality Improvement Initiative to Improve Colorectal Cancer Screening in a Managed Care Population. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2018 Sep 4;9(8):177. doi: 10.1038/s41424-018-0046-z. PMID: 30177700
- May FP, Yu C, Kaunitz J. High quality of cancer care in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Am J Cancer Res. 2018 Apr 1;8(4):761-762. eCollection 2018 April 1;8(4):761-762. PMID: 29736320
- May FP, Gupta S. When Should Screening Stop for Elderly Individuals at Average and Increased Risk for Colorectal Cancer? Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Feb;16(2):178-180.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.11.009. Epub 2017 Nov 10. PMID: 29133256