The UCLA Department of Neurosurgery has established a Diversity Scholarship to support students interested in neurosurgery training and a subsequent academic career. All upcoming fourth year medical students with an interest in equity, diversity, and inclusion are encouraged to apply including:
- Students that are underrepresented in Medicine (URM/UIM)
- Students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Students from communities that are affected by healthcare inequities
- Students with an interest in underserved populations and/or healthcare disparities
The scholarship helps support elective application and travel costs including transportation, accommodation, and meals up to a maximum of $3,000. Receipts are due at the conclusion of the rotation for reimbursement to the student.
Submit a personal essay detailing your interest in neurosurgery, pertinent information about your diversity related experiences and activities, and any financial challenges to the education office at the same time of your VSAS application (no less than 60 days in advance of the rotation). The selection committee will notify applicants that are awarded scholarships no later than the end of the first week of the elective rotation.
Application Requirements include:
- Meeting VSAS application requirements
- Being in good standing in an accredited United States Medical School
- Being available for a rotation between July-October
- Planning to apply for the Neurosurgery Match
Participation in the four-week electives at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and Harbor UCLA Medical Center. For years when both four-week rotations are not permitted, the scholarship covers a hybrid rotation including three weeks at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and one week at Harbor UCLA Medical Center.
Please submit application to Colleen Bruton [email protected] in the Neurosurgery Education Office.