The first year consists of primarily clinical responsibilities with intensive inpatient experiences at Mattel Children's Hospital and outpatient rheumatology clinics.
The first-year fellow will learn to evaluate and manage rheumatologic signs and symptoms, under supervision of the faculty member.
Patient care/ Medical knowledge:
- Recognize and diagnose rheumatologic disease and how to treat as outpatient
- Assess acutely ill patients with rheumatologic diseases and know criteria for admissions and /or continued hospitalization
- Take a complete history and physical examination
- Establish a differential diagnosis with presenting signs and symptoms
- Establish a treatment and rehabilitation plan
The first year is dedicated to research orientation and project selection. Fellows also participate in department-wide courses in research fundamentals, career development and medical ethics.
Second & Third Year
Second and third year fellows continue to have continuity clinics as well as 4-6 weeks of inpatient service duties acting as the pre-attending with faculty supervision.
The second and third years focus on research projects designed by the fellows in conjunction with a faculty scientific mentor.