Geriatric Medicine Interest Group (GMIG)
Welcome to the Geriatric Medicine Interest Group
The Geriatric Medicine Interest Group (GMIG) is a medical-student-run club affiliated with the UCLA Division of Geriatrics.
- To stimulate interest in Geriatric Medicine and to stress the role that Geriatrics plays in all fields of medicine
- To increase awareness among medical students of the special issues that address the health care needs of older people across all fields of medicine
- To organize community service activities that focus on the well-being of older adults
- To provide learning opportunities for students including shadowing Geriatric faculty, interactive didactic sessions, and other activities
- To provide leadership opportunities for students who would like to take an active role in promoting Geriatric Medicine
Geriatric Events at UCLA & West Los Angeles
If you would like to stay up to date on upcoming events in Geriatric Medicine at UCLA or West Los Angeles, please contact the GMIG Coordination staff at [email protected].
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic some of the activities and experiences for medical students have been modified or postponed in accordance with guidelines set forth from the LA County Department of Public Health, CDC, and David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Clinical Shadowing Opportunities
We are happy to offer a number of locations for clinical shadowing for current medical students.
- UCLA Santa Monica Hospital - Inpatient Geriatrics Service
- Skilled Nursing Facility – Various UCLA-affiliated nursing facilities in Westwood and Santa Monica
- Outpatient Geriatrics Clinics (Westwood or Santa Monica)
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center - Inpatient Geriatrics Consult Service
- West LA VA Inpatient Geriatric Evaluation and Management Unit (WLA GEM)
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center - Palliative Care Service
If you are interested in shadowing at any of the sites offered, please contact the GMIG Coordination staff at [email protected] to arrange a time.