Adult Intensive Outpatient Program
Adult IOP is a group-based, voluntary programs that support individuals in their recovery. Our goal is to assist patients in achieving the highest level of independence. Our treatment program is time-limited and offers intensive, coordinated, and structured clinical services within a safe and stable therapeutic environment. Our programs are abstinence based.
Group participation is the primary therapeutic treatment modality. The program integrates psycho-educational, psycho-therapeutic, and activity-based groups to foster hope, self-determination, and empowerment in the healing process. While in the program, patients develop effective coping and interpersonal skills.
Patients will meet with their care coordinator and psychiatrist on a weekly basis, and if clinically indicated patients may also have family meetings.
IOP: 3 days/week & Hours Subject to change
- Tuesday 9am to 12pm
- Wednesday 9am to 12pm
- Friday 9am to 2pm
To be considered for the program, the patient must be under the care of a mental health professional and that provider must contact PHP directly to refer the patient.
Providers submit referral online with the most recent clinical information including an assessment or history and physical, the three most recent progress notes, and a discharge plan (if applicable).
Online referral link: https://uclahs.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0MNyQFwPNm6a8Jw
Referrals are reviewed for admission within 2 to 3 business days. Approval is based on clinical information, medical clearance, and financial eligibility. All patients are required to have a completed physical exam within 30 days of their program start date.
Once admitted, the patient will meet with their treatment team. The intake process includes an assessment with their psychiatrist, nursing, and care coordinator.
We accept most private insurance, but all insurance will be verified prior to admission.
Authorization of Treatment, authorization will be obtained when the patient starts the program).
- Available to attend program four to five days per week.
- Demonstrate an ability to participate in and benefit from group treatment.
- Normal Cognitive Functioning that allows for active participation in program
- Motivated for treatment.
- Ability to concentrate.
- Stable housing for the duration of the program.
- Commitment to sobriety.
- If patient is receiving electroconvulsive therapy, treatment must be down to one treatment per week.
- Parking is not included in the program and information on parking can be found here: https://www.uclahealth.org/patients-families/find-location/directions-parking
- Lunch vouchers are provided every day the patient is in program
- This can be evaluated by your care team
- The length of stay is tailored to individual’s needs. Participation in the IOP averages 3 to 4 weeks respectively.
Sample IOP schedule (subject to change)
- 9am –Goals Group
- 10am –Group
- 11am –Process Group
- 12pm to 1pm –lunch (lunch voucher provided)
- 1pm –Group
- Communication Skills
- Coping Skills
- Sleep Hygiene
- Mental Health Relapse Prevention
- Seeking Safety
- Relapse Prevention
- Process group
- Symptom Management
- IOP serves individuals in the community that have struggled with acute and severe mental health disorders including, but not limited to Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Post Tramautic Stress Disorder. We also offer a thought-disorder track for patients with symptoms of psychosis.