The months, weeks and days preceding your baby's birth will be an exciting, joyful time filled with many physical and emotional changes. This is a natural time for you to learn more about pregnancy, childbirth and parenting.
The BirthPlace offers a comprehensive educational program to help improve your birthing experience and ease your transition to parenthood. Our on-line education program provides three classes:
- Childbirth Preparation
- Baby Talk!
Each class is a series of 3 classes. Running time of each class is approximately 60-90 minutes long.
We recommend you register 2 to 3 months before your due date.
This page contains an overview of our classes. See our class schedule to register and pay for classes.
Prices listed may change. Please note that rates are higher if delivering at a Non-UCLA facility.
For questions regarding tours and classes, call (424) 259-8253
Class 1: Basics of Breastfeeding
This class introduces pregnant women to the benefits of breastfeeding and how to get off to a good start. Topics covered include:
- Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Breast changes in pregnancy and after birth
- How we make milk
- How to get off to the best start
- Latch and positioning
Class 2: Making Milk: Strategies for Lactation Success
Join one of our UCLA lactation consultants for a deep dive on breastfeeding and making milk.
- Learn how to establish a robust milk supply and comfortably feed your baby
- Explore techniques for optimal feeding and latching
- Enhance milk supply by learning hand expression
- Explore common concerns and management techniques for
- sore nipples,
- how to know if you are making enough milk
- normal newborn feeding and fullness
Class 3: Sustaining Breastfeeding
Supports families that experience early separation from their infants, including;
- NICU families or preterm infants
- Families experiencing challenges to breastfeeding in the first week of life
- Families that will be returning to work and/or school
We cover how to work on breastfeeding, while also building and maintaining milk supply with:
- Hand expression & breast massage
- Breast pumps
- Milk collection, storage and management
- How to maintain breastfeeding or exclusive pumping for the first year of life.
Class 1: Overview of Labor
This class provides an overview of the labor and delivery process including:
- Beginning labor signs
- The stages of labor
- When to leave for the hospital
- What to expect throughout the birthing experience
Class 2: Labor Comfort Measures and Pain Medications
This class features a review of helpful comfort measures for managing early and active labor discomfort such as:
- How labor partners provide physical and emotional support
- Meditation, massage and music
- Labor positioning for optimal descent
- Medication options such as nitrous oxide, narcotics and epidurals
Class 3: Birth interventions and C-Sections
In the final class we discuss some common birth interventions, such as:
- Fetal monitoring
- Stage 2 (pushing phase) interventions
- Childbirth recovery strategies
Class 1: Baby Care
Good baby care begins with an understanding of normal newborn needs.
In this class we share basic baby care information including:
- Normal newborns appearances immediately after birth
- Responsive feeding techniques
- How to know if baby is feeding well
- Normal newborn elimination patterns
- How to groom, bath and diaper your baby
- Umbilical cord and circumcision care
- How to have a healthy baby and know when to call the doctor
Class 2: Baby Behavior
In this class we explore normal newborn behavior including how babies tell us what they need.
- How babies use cues to guide us to help them
- Why babies cry and how to calm a crying baby
- Normal feeding, waking and sleep patterns
- How to cope with night waking
- Swaddling and pacifiers
- Resources on infant development
Class 3: Parent Transitions
This class explores a variety of safety topics including:
- Car seats safe sleep and cribs
- Choosing health plans, life insurance and other guardianship considerations
- Know your rights when returning to work!
- Quality childcare and how to find local resources
- Maternal wellness and self-care
- Couple Time
- Screen Time and appropriate infant activities such as Time On Tummy, Reading, Singing and Talking