Find your care
What is Ultrasound?
Ultrasound is a type of technology that uses high-frequency sound waves to generate an image of your breast tissue. Your breast radiologist will interpret the image.
Does Ultrasound have radiation?
Ultrasound is a safe, noninvasive exam with no radiation.
Why I need a Breast Ultrasound?
- Palpable abnormality: If you or your doctor feel a palpable mass.
- Screening Mammogram Callback: To further evaluate a finding seen on a screening mammogram.
- Follow up: To re-evaluate finding seen on a prior ultrasound.
- Biopsy: Ultrasound can help guide the radiologist during the procedure, so they can perform the biopsy under ultrasound guidance.
- Nipple Discharge: To further evaluate the cause of nipple discharge
- Implants: To further evaluate implant issues.
- Screening: Women with dense breasts or high risk women may opt to have a screening ultrasound performed.
- MRI: To re-evaluate a finding seen on a prior MRI.
- Other: Your doctor may order an ultrasound due a finding seen on clinical exam or a reported symptom not mentioned here.
Can Ultrasound show a finding not seen on a mammogram?
Yes. Ultrasound can show a finding not seen on a mammogram and vice versa. Both technologies (mammogram and ultrasound) are complimentary to one another.
Is Ultrasound painful?
The majority of our patients report that the ultrasound exam is not painful. However, while ultrasound does not require compression, it can be uncomfortable if your breast tissue is sensitive to the ultrasound probe pressure.
Do you offer Whole Breast Screening Ultrasound?
Yes. A recent study showed that in women with dense breasts and increased risk for breast cancer, screening ultrasound resulted in detection of four additional cancers per one-thousand women with normal screening mammogrames.
Radiology Central Scheduling
- Phone: (310) 301-6800
- Fax: (310) 794-9035
- Hours of Operation:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm, Mon - Fri
Breast Imaging at UCLA provides a full range of high quality and innovative breast imaging studies, treatments and procedures to the greater Los Angeles area. We are currently located in Westwood, Santa Monica, Santa Clarita, Toluca Lake, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, and Westlake Village. Click here to learn more about all of our locations.