Five ways to get in shape with your partner
February 21, 2017
2 min read
Did you give your beloved a paper heart this Valentine’s Day? Think beyond cards and chocolate and make a pact with your partner to focus on heart health, too. Getting in shape together is a great way to reduce your risk of heart disease. Regular physical activity can also help you lose weight, boost your mood and energy levels, and lower the risk of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
Plus, it’s a lot more fun to start a new workout routine with your significant other by your side. Here are five ideas for getting fit together.
- Try something new. Pick an activity neither of you has tried before, such as rock climbing (either indoors or out) or salsa dancing. Discovering new things together is a great relationship builder. Plus, it’s a great strategy if you and your partner normally prefer different types of exercise or are starting at different fitness levels.
- Make it a social event. Consider joining a team or league, such as recreational softball or soccer, with your partner. You’ll meet new people and have a regular date night – all while staying active.
- Stay side by side. If team sports aren’t your thing, stake out space at the gym on neighboring treadmills or elliptical machines. You can each go at your own speed and listen to your own motivating music, but you’ll have support and encouragement within arm’s reach.
- Set a joint goal. Are you a competitive couple? Instead of facing off against one another, join forces to work toward a goal such as training for a 5K race or long-distance bike ride. You’ll be able to support one another as you train, and help each other stay on track as you keep the finish line in sight.
- Do yoga together. Sign up for a private yoga class for two. Yoga is extremely popular with people of all ages, genders and fitness levels, and for good reason. It can improve flexibility and strength, relieve stress and boost mood.
Take the Next Step
Learn more about finding the right exercise program for you.