Dr. Akhondi received his BS and MD degrees at the University of Washington and received his internal medicine and adult cardiovascular training at UCLA where he was Chief Fellow. He then completed an interventional cardiology fellowship at UCLA, specializing in complex coronary artery, peripheral artery and structural heart disease interventions, including Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and Atrial Septal defect (ASD) and patent foramen ovale (PFO) closures.
Medical Board Certifications
Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2014
Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2011
UCLA School of Medicine, 2015
UCLA School of Medicine, 2014
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center Internal Medicine GME, 2011
Olive View-UCLA Medical Center Internal Medicine GME, 2009
University of Washington School of Medicine, MD, 2008
Research Papers (peer reviewed journals):
- Akhondi A, Gevorgyan R, Slavin, L, Dao C, Liebeskind D, Tobis J. PFO Morphology as a Predictor of Stroke Size in Patients with Paradoxical Embolism. Circulation Cardiovascular Interventions September 2010
- Akhondi A, Lee M. The use of percutantous left ventricular-assist device in those undergoing high risk PCI and cardiogenic shock. Reviews in Cardiovascular Medicine. August 2014.
- Lee M, Akhondi A. Should Patients with Critical Limb Ischemia Undergo Routine Coronary Angiography to Detect Coronary Artery Disease. Vascular Disease Management. July 2015
- Akhondi A, Rhuem S, Yang E. Incidental Diagnosis of a Double Aortic Arch During An Acute Myocardial Infarction. Texas Heart Institute Journal THIJ-13-3872. Dec 2013.
- Akhondi A, Khan TV, Cimino, P. Intranasal Naloxone as Initial Treatment for Opioid Overdose in the Pre-hospital Setting. EMS Pro Magazine September 2009. p 52-56
- McDonnell M, Akhondi A, Wachsner R. The Long-QT Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management in the Hospital Setting. Hospital Physician Journal in May 2009.
- Khan TV, Akhondi AB, Khan SS, Khan TW. White coat hypertension: relevance to clinical and Emergency Medical Services Personnel. MedGenMed. 2007 Mar 13;9(1):52.
- Vorobiof G, Akhondi A. 3D Echo for Valvular Heart Disease Chapter. Questions, Tricks, and Tips for the Echocardiography Boards. Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Akhondi A, Bokhoor P, Krishna V, McDonnell M, Wachsner R, Goldhaber J. UCLA Housestaff CCU Handbook in the UCLA Inpatient Housestaff Handbook 2009-2012 edition
- Akhondi A, Gevorgyan R, Slavin, L, Dao C, Liebeskind D, Tobis J. PFO Morphology as a Predictor of Stroke Size in Patients with Paradoxical Embolism. SCAI May 2009
- Akhondi A, Bryg R. Predicting Cardiovascular Mortality using a Bayesian Risk Model. Department of Cardiology. UCLA-Olive View Medical Center. SGIM May 2009
- Akhondi A, Wali S, Cruz D, MacLellan R. A Myopathic Conundrum in the setting of Orthotopic Heart Transplant Evaluation. Department of Cardiology and Department of Internal Medicine, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. ACP Southern California Regional. October 2008
- Akhondi A, McDonnell M, Macabasco-O'Connell A, Meymandi S, Finegan T. Prevalence and Screening Methods for Depression in Chronic Heart Failure Patients. ACP Southern California Regional. October 2009
- Gevorgyan R, Greep N, Akhondi A, Cua B, Liebeskind D, Tobis J. Right-to-Left Shunting and the Incidence of Ischemic Stroke among Postmenopausal Women on Hormone Replacement Therapy. UCLA Department of Medicine Research Symposium October 2009.
- Akhondi A, Daum G, Kenagy R, Clowes A. Matrix Metalloproteinase Dependent Co-Stimulatory Pathways in PDGFBB Signaling in Smooth Muscle Cells. University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Surgery. Annual Medical Student Research Symposium, October 2005.
- Akhondi A, Hocking A, Isik F. The Effect of Wnt 3a and Wnt 5a on the Proliferation and Migration of Mouse Fibroblasts. University of Washington School of Medicine, Division of Plastic Surgery. Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium. May 2004.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Chief Cardiovascular Fellow 2013
- Solomon Scholars Research Award, June 2009
- Al-Shifa Underserved Community Service Award, May 2008
- Rita Cruz Scholarship 2000-2003
- Washington Promise Scholarship 2000-2003
- Washington. State Governor’s Scholarship 2001-2003
- Washington State Honors Award 2001-2003
- American Legion Award 2000