Dr. Moscicki is a Pediatrician, Board Certified in Adolescent Medicine. She is the current Division Chief of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine with clinical expertise in reproductive health care for menstrual irregularities, sexual health, and sexually transmitted diseases. Dr. Moscicki has expertise in HPV -related disease including diagnosis of cervical dysplasia and treatment. She also offers medical care for women with eating disorders.
Dr. Moscicki received her MD at Northwestern University and completed her residency at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and her fellowship in Adolescent Medicine at UCSF. In addition, she completed a fellowship in STD epidemiology and a molecular virology fellowship at Stanford University as a Howard Hughes Fellow. Prior to coming to UCLA in 2015, Dr. Moscicki was on faculty at UCSF for 30 years.
Dr. Moscicki's 35-year research career has focused on STD epidemiology. A large focus has been on describing the natural history of Human Papilloma Virus in adolescents and young women, transmission dynamics of HPV as well as studying the local and systemic immune responses to HPV. In addition, she has long worked in studying HPV among youth living with HIV. Her work has been translated to public health policies guiding ages to vaccinate with HPV, screening for cervical cancer, and management of abnormal cytology and histology. More recently, her work focuses on the vaginal microbiome and its impact on HPV progression.
Contact Information: [email protected]
Medical Board Certifications
- Human Papillomavirus Infections of the cervix, anus and oropharynx
- Perinatal HIV infected adolescents and young adults
- High risk sexual behavior
- Mucosal immune responses to vaginal, oral and anal pathogens
- Vaginal and oral microbiome role in health and disease
- Moscicki AB, Karalius B, Tassiopoulos K, Yao TJ, Jacobson DL, Patel K, Purswani M, Seage GR; Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study. Human Papillomavirus Antibody Levels and Quadrivalent Vaccine Clinical Effectiveness in Perinatally Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected and Exposed, Uninfected Youth. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Feb 21. pii: ciy1040. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciy1040. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 30927547.
- Moscicki AB, Flowers L, Huchko MJ, Long ME, MacLaughlin KL, Murphy J, Spiryda LB, Gold MA. Guidelines for Cervical Cancer Screening in Immunosuppressed Women Without HIV Infection. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2019 Apr; 23(2): 87-101. doi: 10.1097/LGT.0000000000000468. PMID: 30907775.
- Lin C, Slama J, Gonzalez P, Goodman MT, Xia N, Kreimer AR, Wu T, Hessol NA, Shvetsov Y, Ortiz AP, Grinsztejn B, Moscicki AB, Heard I, Del Refugio González Losa M, Kojic EM, Schim van der Loeff MF, Wei F, Longatto-Filho A, Mbulawa ZA, Palefsky JM, Sohn AH, Hernandez BY, Robison K, Simpson S Jr, Conley LJ, de Pokomandy A, van der Sande MAB, Dube Mandishora RS, Volpini LPB, Pierangeli A, Romero B, Wilkin T, Franceschi S, Hidalgo-Tenorio C, Ramautarsing RA, Park IU, Tso FK, Godbole S, D'Hauwers KWM, Sehnal B, Menezes LJ, Heráclio SA, Clifford GM. Cervical Determinants of Anal HPV Infection and High-Grade Anal Lesions in Women: A Collaborative Pooled Analysis. Lacet Infectious Disease. 2019 Aug; 19(8):880-891. Doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(19)30164-1. PMID: 31204304.
- Moscicki AB, Yao TJ, Russell JS, Farhat S, Scott M, Magpantay L, Halec G, Shiboski CH, Ryder MI. Biomarkers of Oral Inflammation in Perinatally HIV-Infected and Perinatally HIV-Exposed, Uninfected Youth. Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study. J Clin Periodontol. 2019 Nov;46(11):1072-1082. Doi: 10.1111/jcpe.13179. PMID: 31385616.
- Garber AK, Cheng J, Accurso EC, Adams SH, Buckelew SM, Kapphahn CJ, Kreiter A, Le Grange D, Machen VI, Moscicki AB, Saffran K, Sy AF, Wilson L, Golden NH. Weight Loss and Illness Severity in Adolescents with Atypical Anorexia Nervosa. Pediatrics. 2019 Nov 6. Pii:e20192339. Doi: 10.1542/peds.2019-2339. PMID: 31694978.
- Torres-Ibarra L, Cuzick J, Lorincz AT, Spiegelman D, Lazcano-Ponce E, Franco EL, Moscicki AB, Mahmud SM, Wheeler CM, Rivera-Paredez B, Hernández-López R, León-Maldonado L, Salmerón J, Group. Frida Study Group. Comparison of HPV-16 and HPV-18 Genotyping and Cytological Testing as Triage Testing Within Human Papillomavirus–Based Screening in Mexico. JAMA Network Open. 2019;Oct 2. 2(11):e1915781-e. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.15781.
- Mitra A, MacIntyre DA, Ntritsos G, Smith A, Tsilidis KK, Marchesi JR, Bennett PR, Moscicki* AB, Kyrgiou *M. The vaginal microbiota associates with the regression of untreated cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 2 lesions. Nat Commun. 2020 Apr 24;11(1):1999. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-15856-y. PMID: 32332850; PMCID: PMC7181700. *co-senior authors
- Perkins RB, Guido RS, Castle PE, Chelmow D, Einstein MH, Garcia F, Huh WK, Kim JJ, Moscicki AB, Nayar R, Saraiya M, Sawaya GF, Wentzensen N, Schiffman M; 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines Committee. 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2020 Apr;24(2):102-131. doi: 10.1097/LGT.0000000000000525. PMID: 32243307; PMCID: PMC7147428.
- Ryder MI, Shiboski C, Yao TJ, Moscicki AB. Current trends and new developments in HIV research and periodontal diseases. Periodontology 2000. 2020;82(1):65-77. Epub 2019/12/19. doi: 10.1111/prd.12321. PubMed PMID: 31850628.
- Moscicki AB, Shi B, Huang, H, Barnard E, Li H, Cervical-Vaginal Microbiome and Associated Cytokine Profiles in a Prospective Study of HPV 16 Acquisition, Persistence, and Clearance..Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2020 Sep 25;10:569022. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2020.569022. eCollection 2020.PMID: 33102255
- 2005-15 Principal Investigator, National Cancer Institute, Merit Award
- 2014 American Academy of Pediatrics, Adele Hofmann Lifetime Achievement Award in Adolescent Medicine
- 2014 American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, Distinguished Scientific and Meritorious Service
- 2011 Chancellor's Award for the Advancement of Women, nominee, University of California San Francisco
- 2010 Chancellor's Award for the Advancement of Women, nominee, University of California San Francisco
- 2010 American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, Meritorious Award of Service
- 2007 UCSF Faculty Mentoring Program: Outstanding mentor award
- 2006 American Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology: Distinguished Scientific Achievement Award