Co-Chief of Division of Geriatric Medicine
Carol and Jim Collins Endowed Chair
Professor of Clinical Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Dr. Koretz attended the University of California at Berkeley and graduated with high honors and a BA in Psychology. He subsequently obtained his MD from the University of California at San Francisco. After moving back to Los Angeles, he took a residency in Internal Medicine and a fellowship in Geriatric Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles.
After joining the faculty at UCLA, he completed the California Healthcare Foundation Leadership Training Program through UCSF, the Lean Healthcare certification through the University of Michigan, and an MBA at the Anderson School of Management at UCLA.
Dr. Koretz's primary clinical interests include comprehensive Geriatric Assessment and consultation as well as serving as the primary care provider for his panel of patients. His educational interests include teaching clinical Geriatrics, communication, customer service, and leadership. His efforts were recognized with the Eby Award for the Art of Teaching/Distinguished Teaching Award in 2012.
Dr. Koretz has held a number of administrative positions at UCLA including four terms as the President of the Department of Medicine Professional Group and the Interim CEO/President of the UCLA Faculty Practice Group. He currently serves on the Executive Board for the UCLA Faculty Senate.
Master of Business Administration (MBA), UCLA - The Anderson School of Management, 2013
Medical Board Certification
- Quality Improvement
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
Honors and Special Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa - 1992
- Magna Cum Laude - 1992
- High Departmental Honors (Psychology) - 1992
- 2nd place poster contest winner-Perception of Safety in Los Angeles Neighborhoods: Impact on Body Mass Index, 8th Annual Research and Evidence-Based Practice Conference, April 30, 2009
- Finalist, UCLA Innovation Competition-The Effect of the Physician Partner Program on Physician Efficiency and Patient Satisfaction - 2013
- Fellow, American College of Physicians - 2016
- Outstanding Tutor Award, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, July 20, 2007
- Outstanding Tutor Award, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, July 18, 2008
- 2009 Best UCLA Clinical Mentor, MSTAR Program, October 1, 2009
- 2009-2010 Full-Time Faculty Outpatient Teaching Award, UCLA Internal Medicine Training Program, nominated, April 20, 2010
- 2010-2011 Full-Time Faculty Outpatient Teaching Award, UCLA Internal Medicine Training Program, May 2011
- 2010-2011 Full-Time Faculty - Medical Student Teaching Award, UCLA Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences, nominated, May 12, 2011
- 2011-2012 Distinguished Teaching Award for Senate Faculty: "Eby Award for the Art of Teaching," UCLA Academic Senate
- 2012 Teaching Humanism at the Bedside Award, UCLA Health System, January 2012
- 2011-2012 Full-Time Faculty Outpatient Teaching Award, UCLA Internal Medicine Training Program, Department of Medicine Housestaff and Education Office, May 2012
- 2013 Nominated for the Full-Time DOM Outpatient Faculty Teaching Award