Catherine Sarkisian MD, MSHS is a Professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Division of Geriatrics and Staff Physician at the Greater Los Angeles VA Healthcare System. She is Director of the new UCLA Value-Based Care Research Consortium. She is also Director of Los Angeles Community Academic Partnership for Research in Aging (L.A. CAPRA), an NIH funded partnership between UCLA and The City and County of Los Angeles Area Agencies on Aging to support research on sustainable programs to improve quality of life of underresourced seniors. Recently her research has focused on reducing low value care; she is Principal Investigator on an American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation-funded project to implement a Choosing Wisely™ intervention at L.A. County Department of Health Services. She is Director of the NIH/NIA-funded Resource Center for Minority Aging Research/Center for Healthcare Improvement of Minority Elders (RCMAR/CHIME) Community Liaison Core and Co-Leader of the UCLA CTSI Special Populations Program. She received her A.B. Degree (with Honors) in Philosophy from Princeton University, her M.D. from University of California San Francisco, and an MSHS in Health Services from the UCLA School of Public Health.
Medical Board Certifications
Geriatric Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2000
Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1996
UCLA School of Medicine, 2000
UCLA School of Public Health/Preventive Medicine, 1999
New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Ctr, 1996
New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Ctr, 1994
UC San Francisco School of Medicine, MD, 1993
- Increasing physical activity and preventing disability among underserved older adults
- Improving quality of life among frail older adults
- Community-based research collaborations
Selected Recent Publications:
- Davis MM, Bond LA, Howard A, Sarkisian CA, Primary care clinician expectations regarding aging. Gerontologist. 2011;51(6):856-66.
- Kelley AS<, Ettner SL, Wenger NS, Sarkisian CA. Determinants of death in the hospital among older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Dec;59(12):2321-5.
- Kelley AS, Ettner SL, Morrison RS, Du Q, Sarkisian C. Disability and decline in physical function associated with hospital use at end of life. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Jul;27(7):794-800.
- Cordasco KM, Homeier DC, Franco I, Wang PC, Sarkisian CA. Health literacy screening of geriatric monolingual Spanish-speaking patients using single-item literacy screening questions and education. Health Education Journal. 2012 Sep;71(5):597-605.
- Hernandez R, Prohaska TR, Wang P, Sarkisian CA. The longitudinal relationship between depression and walking behavior in older Latinos: the "íCaminemos!" study. J Aging Health. 2013 Mar;25(2):319-41.
- Choi SE, Reed PL, Sarkisian CA. Gender differences in the relationship between diabetes-specific quality of life and depressive symptoms in middle-aged and older Korean immigrants. Res Gerontol Nurs. 2013 Oct;6(4):283-92.
- 2014 Society of General Internal Medicine, Distinguished Professor in Geriatrics
- 2012 Reynolds Visiting Professor, UCSF School of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics
- 2011 American Geriatrics Society, Outstanding Scientific Achievement for Clinical Investigation Award
- 2010 American Geriatrics Society, Best Paper Award in Prevention Category
- 2009 Best Mentor Award- Medical Student Training in Aging Research at UCLA, UCSF, and UCD
- 2008 The American Geriatrics Society, Special Recognition Award for Outstanding Service
- 2008 Visiting Professor, Brookdale Department of Geriatrics & Adult Development, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY.
- 2007 Visiting Professor, Division of Geriatrics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY.
- 2007 Visiting Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center
- 2003 Paul B. Beeson Faculty Scholar Award
- 2004 Lefeber Visiting Professor, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
- 2001 The Brookdale Foundation National Fellowship Program, awardee
- 1999 The American Geriatrics Society - Merck New Investigator Award
- 1989 Princeton University Department of Philosophy A.B. cum laude