Gerardo Moreno, MD, MS
Currently not accepting new patients.
UCLA Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, 2007-2010
Dr. Gerardo Moreno is Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, and Director of UCLA PRIME-LA (Program in Medical Education) which focuses on Leadership and Advocacy for underserved communities. He is a clinician investigator and his current research focuses on studying effective healthcare delivery in communities for uninsured vulnerable populations including undocumented residents and older adults. His areas of expertise include diabetes in older adults, the evaluation of health system and community level interventions for vulnerable populations, physician workforce diversity, social and structural determinants of health, language-based disparities in healthcare, and medical education programs. Dr. Moreno has published clinical guidelines on diabetes among older adults and studies that have increased our understanding of health disparities and the social determinants of health, and has published on other important issues addressing physician workforce diversity, family medicine, and medical education. Dr. Moreno has a continuity clinic and trains family medicine residents and UCLA medical students. He serves on the Board of Directors for the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) and on the NIH Clinical Aging study section (NIA-C).
He is an educator and clinician investigator with formal training and expertise in health services outcomes research and community-based participatory research (CBPR). He is the principal investigator of a multi-year evaluation of a novel primary care coverage program for low-income uninsured and undocumented patients receiving care in 23 community health centers across 21 California counties. Dr. Moreno received a Masters of Science in Health Services from the UCLA School of Public Health and completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) Foundation Clinical Scholars Program at UCLA.
Dr. Moreno co-directs the Community Liaison Core for the NIH/NIA funded UCLA Resource Center for Minority Aging Research (RCMAR)/Center for Health Improvement for Minority Elders (CHIME). He was the 2015-2017 James C. Puffer M.D./ABFM Anniversary Fellow at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and is a past recipient of a National Institute of Aging (NIA-NIH) Paul B. Beeson Career Development Award in Aging (K23). He is a past recipient of a UCLA CTSI Community Engagement Research Program (CERP) pilot award that focused on examining the participation of older minority adults in research. Dr. Moreno was also a site PI and co-investigator of an NIH R01 funded research study that examined medication adherence among patients with chronic conditions and language barriers.
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
Link to Dr. Gerardo's bibliography >
- Moreno Gerardo, Morales Leo S, Batts Felicia, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Noguera Christine, Isiordia Marilu, Mangione Carol M. Migration, Health Care Behaviors and Primary Care for Latinos with Diabetes J Immig Health, 2015. (In Press).
- Moreno Gerardo, Carol M. Mangione, Carlos Meza, Mignon Moore, Ivy Lee, Laura Trejo, Teresa Seeman, Catherine Sarkisian Perceptions from Latino and African American Older Adults about Biological Markers in Research Ethnicity & Disease, 2015; 25(2). (In Press).
- Talamantes Efrain, Moreno Gerardo National Immigration Policies and the U.S. Medical Education System: A diverse physician workforce to reduce health disparities J Gen Intern Med, 2015; 2015 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print].
- Moreno Gerardo, Leo S. Morales, Isiordia Marilu, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Chi-Hong Tseng, Noguera Christine, Carol M. Mangione Latinos with Diabetes and Food Insecurity in an Agricultural Community Medical Care, 2015; 53(5): 423-429.
- Ganjian Sheila, Dowling Patrick T, Hove Jason, Moreno Gerardo What Practicing Physicians from Diverse Specialties Know and Support in Health Care Reform Family Medicine, 2015; 47(4): 283-91.
- Talamantes Efrain, Mangione Carol M, Gonzalez Karla, Jimenez Alejandro, Gonzalez Fabio, Moreno Gerardo Community College Pathways: Improving the U.S. Physician Workforce Pipeline Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2014; 89(12): 1649-56.
- Moreno Gerardo, Mangione Carol M, Wang Pin-Chieh, Trejo Laura, Butch Anthony, Tseng Chi-Hong, Sarkisian Catherine A Physical Activity, Physical Performance, and Biological Markers of Health among Sedentary Older Latinos Current gerontology and geriatrics research, 2014; 2014(7): 535071.
- Moreno Gerardo, Morales Leo S, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Tseng Chi-Hong, Isiordia Marilu, Noguera Christine, Mangione Carol M Neighborhood Perceptions and Health-Related Outcomes Among Latinos with Diabetes from a Rural Agricultural Community Journal of community health, 2014; 39(6): 1077-1084.
- Detz Alissa, Mangione Carol M., Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Noguera Christine, Morales Leo S., Tseng Chi-Hong, Moreno Gerardo Provider language fluency and interpersonal care ratings for rural Latinos with diabetes J Gen Intern Med, 2014; 29(12): 1650-6.
- Moreno Gerardo, Gold Julia, Mavrinac Maureen Primary care residents want to learn about the patient-centered medical home Family medicine, 2014; 46(7): 539-43.