Currently not accepting new patients.
UCLA Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, 2007-2010
Dr. Gerardo Moreno is Associate Professor and Interim Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, and Director of UCLA PRIME-LA (Program in Medical Education) which focuses on Leadership and Advocacy for underserved communities. He is a clinician investigator and his current research focuses on studying effective healthcare delivery in communities for uninsured vulnerable populations including undocumented residents and older adults. His areas of expertise include diabetes in older adults, the evaluation of health system and community level interventions for vulnerable populations, physician workforce diversity, social and structural determinants of health, language-based disparities in healthcare, and medical education programs. Dr. Moreno has published clinical guidelines on diabetes among older adults and studies that have increased our understanding of health disparities and the social determinants of health, and has published on other important issues addressing physician workforce diversity, family medicine, and medical education. Dr. Moreno has a continuity clinic and trains family medicine residents and UCLA medical students. He serves on the Board of Directors for the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) and on the NIH Clinical Aging study section (NIA-C).
He is an educator and clinician investigator with formal training and expertise in health services outcomes research and community-based participatory research (CBPR). He is the principal investigator of a multi-year evaluation of a novel primary care coverage program for low-income uninsured and undocumented patients receiving care in 23 community health centers across 21 California counties. Dr. Moreno received a Masters of Science in Health Services from the UCLA School of Public Health and completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) Foundation Clinical Scholars Program at UCLA.
Dr. Moreno co-directs the Community Liaison Core for the NIH/NIA funded UCLA Resource Center for Minority Aging Research (RCMAR)/Center for Health Improvement for Minority Elders (CHIME). He was the 2015-2017 James C. Puffer M.D./ABFM Anniversary Fellow at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and is a past recipient of a National Institute of Aging (NIA-NIH) Paul B. Beeson Career Development Award in Aging (K23). He is a past recipient of a UCLA CTSI Community Engagement Research Program (CERP) pilot award that focused on examining the participation of older minority adults in research. Dr. Moreno was also a site PI and co-investigator of an NIH R01 funded research study that examined medication adherence among patients with chronic conditions and language barriers.
Medical Board Certification
- Moreno Gerardo, Morales Leo S, Batts Felicia, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Noguera Christine, Isiordia Marilu, Mangione Carol M. Migration, Health Care Behaviors and Primary Care for Latinos with Diabetes J Immig Health, 2015. (In Press).
- Moreno Gerardo, Carol M. Mangione, Carlos Meza, Mignon Moore, Ivy Lee, Laura Trejo, Teresa Seeman, Catherine Sarkisian Perceptions from Latino and African American Older Adults about Biological Markers in Research Ethnicity & Disease, 2015; 25(2). (In Press).
- Talamantes Efrain, Moreno Gerardo National Immigration Policies and the U.S. Medical Education System: A diverse physician workforce to reduce health disparities J Gen Intern Med, 2015; 2015 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print].
- Moreno Gerardo, Leo S. Morales, Isiordia Marilu, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Chi-Hong Tseng, Noguera Christine, Carol M. Mangione Latinos with Diabetes and Food Insecurity in an Agricultural Community Medical Care, 2015; 53(5): 423-429.
- Ganjian Sheila, Dowling Patrick T, Hove Jason, Moreno Gerardo What Practicing Physicians from Diverse Specialties Know and Support in Health Care Reform Family Medicine, 2015; 47(4): 283-91.
- Talamantes Efrain, Mangione Carol M, Gonzalez Karla, Jimenez Alejandro, Gonzalez Fabio, Moreno Gerardo Community College Pathways: Improving the U.S. Physician Workforce Pipeline Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2014; 89(12): 1649-56.
- Moreno Gerardo, Mangione Carol M, Wang Pin-Chieh, Trejo Laura, Butch Anthony, Tseng Chi-Hong, Sarkisian Catherine A Physical Activity, Physical Performance, and Biological Markers of Health among Sedentary Older Latinos Current gerontology and geriatrics research, 2014; 2014(7): 535071.
- Moreno Gerardo, Morales Leo S, Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Tseng Chi-Hong, Isiordia Marilu, Noguera Christine, Mangione Carol M Neighborhood Perceptions and Health-Related Outcomes Among Latinos with Diabetes from a Rural Agricultural Community Journal of community health, 2014; 39(6): 1077-1084.
- Detz Alissa, Mangione Carol M., Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Noguera Christine, Morales Leo S., Tseng Chi-Hong, Moreno Gerardo Provider language fluency and interpersonal care ratings for rural Latinos with diabetes J Gen Intern Med, 2014; 29(12): 1650-6.
- Moreno Gerardo, Gold Julia, Mavrinac Maureen Primary care residents want to learn about the patient-centered medical home Family medicine, 2014; 46(7): 539-43.
- Talamantes Efrain, Gerardo Moreno, Lourdes R Guerrero, Carol M Mangione, Leo S Morales P Hablamos Juntos (Together We Speak): A brief patient-reported measure of the quality of interpreters Patient Relat Outcome Meas, 2014; Sept 5; volume 2014. Page 87-92..
- Guerrero Lourdes R., Morales Leo S., Moreno Gerardo The Language Abilities of Resident Physicians, Medical Encounter, 2014; 27 (2): 160-163.
- AGS Choosing Wisely Workgroup, and collaborators (Mulhausen P, Chun A, Green A, Hayward A, Lee S, Leff B, McNabney M, Sharma P, Vitale C, Leipzig R, Levine S, Reuben D, Brandt N, Finucane T, Linnebur S, Mangione CM, Moreno G, Pacala J, Saliba D, Shega J) American Geriatrics Society identifies five things that healthcare providers and patients should question. J Amer Geriatric Soc, 2013; 61(4): 622-31.
- Moreno Gerardo, Mangione Carol M, Kimbro Lindsay, Vaisberg Ekaterina Guidelines abstracted from the American Geriatrics Society Guidelines for Improving the Care of Older Adults with Diabetes Mellitus: 2013 update Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2013; 61(11): 2020-6.
- Nunez de Jaimes Fatima, Batts Felicia, Noguera Christine, Guerrero Lourdes, Moreno Gerardo Implementation of language assessments for staff interpreters in community health centers Journal of health care for the poor and underserved, 2013; 24(3): 1002-9.
- Moreno Gerardo, Mangione Carol M Management of cardiovascular disease risk factors in older adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: 2002-2012 literature review Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2013; 61(11): 2027-37.
- Carol M. Mangione, Gerardo Moreno Re: Diabetes control in older people BMJ, 2013; April 30 .
- Jimenez Nathalia, Moreno Gerardo, Leng Mei, Buchwald Dedra, Morales Leo S Patient-Reported Quality of Pain Treatment and Use of Interpreters in Spanish-Speaking Patients Hospitalized for Obstetric and Gynecological Care Journal of general internal medicine, 2012; 23(9): 1602-1608.
- Walker Kara Odom, Moreno Gerardo, Grumbach Kevin The association among specialty, race, ethnicity, and practice location among California physicians in diverse specialties Journal of the National Medical Association, 2012; 104(1-2): 46-52.
- Moreno Gerardo, Walker Kara Odom, Morales Leo S, Grumbach Kevin Do physicians with self-reported non-English fluency practice in linguistically disadvantaged communities? Journal of general internal medicine, 2011; 26(5): 512-7.
- Walker Odom Kara, Moreno Gerardo In Reply: How Can We Ease the Social Isolation of Underrepresented Minority Medical Students? Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2011; Oct; 86(10): 1191-1192.
- Moreno Gerardo, Morales Leo S Hablamos Juntos (Together We Speak): interpreters, provider communication, and satisfaction with care Journal of general internal medicine, 2010; 25(12): 1282-8.
- Moreno Gerardo, Walker Kara Odom, Grumbach Kevin Self-reported fluency in non-english languages among physicians practicing in California Family medicine, 2010; 42(6): 414-20.
- Moreno Gerardo, Rodriguez Michael A, Lopez Glenn A, Bholat Michelle A, Dowling Patrick T Eight years of building community partnerships and trust: the UCLA family medicine community-based participatory research experience Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2009; 84(10): 1426-33.
- Moreno Gerardo, Tarn Derjung M, Morales Leo S Impact of interpreters on the receipt of new prescription medication information among Spanish-speaking Latinos Medical care, 2009; 47(12): 1201-8.
- Grumbach Kevin, Odom Kara, Moreno Gerardo, Chen Eric, Vercammen-Grandjean Chris, Mertz E. California Physician Diversity: New Findings from the California Medical Board Survey UCSF Center for California Health Workforce Studies, 2008; .