Dr. James Wu is a board-certified Endocrine Surgeon and Assistant Professor of Surgery at UCLA. Dr. Wu completed his training in Complex Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and is devoted to caring for patients with thyroid cancer, parathyroid disease, and adrenal tumors. He has expertise in complex neck disease and advanced laparoscopy.
An avid researcher and educator, Dr. Wu's work has been published in peer-reviewed medical journals and surgical texts. Dr. Wu is a member of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, American Thyroid Association, and serves on the editorial board of Video Endocrinology.
- UCLA Endocrine Center in Westwood
- UCLA Surgery Clinics in Encino
- UCLA Health MPTF in Toluca Lake
Medical Board Certification
- Kuo EJ, Wu JX, Zanocco KA. Cost effectiveness of immediate biopsy versus surveillance of intermediate-suspicion thyroid nodules. Surgery 164 (6), 1330-1335
- Hung ML, Wu JX, Li N, Livhits MJ, Yeh MW. Association of Radioactive Iodine Administration After Reperation With Outcomes Among Patients With Recurrent or Persistent Papillary Thyroid Cancer. JAMA surgery 153 (12), 1098-1104
- Zanocoo KA, Kaltman DJ, Wu JX, Fingeret A, Heller KS, Lee JA, Yeh MW, Sosa JA, Sturgeon C. Cost-effectiveness of routine laryngoscopy in the surgical treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer. Annals of surgical oncology 25 (4), 949-956
- Park KW, Wu JX, Du L, Leung AM, Yeh MW, Livhits MJ. Decreasing use of radioactive iodine for low risk thyroid cancer in California, 1999-2015. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 103 (3), 1095-1101.
- Chen AJ, Livhits MJ, Du L, Wu JX, Kuo EJ, Yeh MW, Leung AM. Recent Pregnancy Is Not Associated with High-risk Pathological Features of Well-differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 28 (1), 68-71.
- Lee SL, Spence L, Mock K, Wu JX, Yan H, DeUgarte DA. Expanding The Inclusion Criteria for Nonoperative Management of Uncomplicated Appendicitis: Outcomes and Cost. Journal of pediatric surgery 53 (1), 42-47.
- Zanocco KA, Wu JX, Yeh MW. Parathyroidectomy for asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: A revised cost-effectiveness analysis incorporating fracture risk reduction. Surgery 161 (1), 16-24.
- EJ Kuo, Wu JX, Zanocco KA, Yeh MW, Livhits MJ. Nonoperative Management of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in California: A Population-level Analysis of 29,978 Patients. Endocrine Practice 23 (10), 1262-1269.
- Talan DA, Saltzman, DJ, Mower WR, Krishnadasan A, Jude CM, Amii R, DeUgarte D, Wu JX, Pathmarajah K, Morim A, Moran GJ for the Olive View-UCLA Appendicitis Study Group. Antibiotics-first vs. Surgery for Appendicitis: A U.S. pilot Randomized Controlled Trial Allowing Outpatient Antibiotic Management. Annals of emergency medicine 70 (1), 1-11. e9.
- Wu JX, Dawes AJ, Sacks GD, DeUgarte DA, Lee SL. The Cost-Effectiveness of Non-Operative Management Versus Laparoscopic Appendectomy for the Treatment of Acute, Uncomplicated Appendicitis in Children. Journal of pediatric surgery 52 (7), 1135-1140.
- Golden Scalpel Teaching Award
- Excellence in Teaching with Humanism Award