Find your care
Why choose UCLA Health for endocrine surgeries?
The UCLA Health Endocrine Center is a destination for advanced endocrine surgery. We have experience treating the most complex conditions affecting the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal gland. Our endocrine surgeons are leaders in innovative techniques and effective procedures.
You’ll benefit from the expert care of a multispecialty team. Our endocrine surgeons work closely with UCLA Health specialists in:
- Medical and radiation oncology
- Nuclear medicine
Highlights of our program include:
Extensive experience: Our highly skilled surgeons perform more than 900 endocrine surgeries every year. We do more adrenal surgeries than most hospitals across the nation. You’ll benefit from our experience and deep knowledge.
Nationally recognized expertise: The endocrine surgeons at UCLA Health are renowned for their expertise in surgical techniques and excellent outcomes. Through our distance surgery program, people come to UCLA from all over the nation for expert endocrine surgery. Our endocrinology experts collaborate to offer well-rounded care and innovative treatments.
Pioneers in advanced procedures: Our endocrine surgeons lead the way in advanced procedures for endocrine disorders. We were some of the first in the country to perform many of these techniques, including a single-incision procedure to remove the adrenal gland. As researchers, educators and surgeons, our experts are committed to delivering precise and effective treatments.
Our areas of care
Endocrine surgeons at the UCLA Health Endocrine Center diagnose and treat the full range of endocrine disorders. You’ll receive world-class care from our team. We specialize in:
- Adrenal surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Pheochromocytoma and other adrenal disorders
- Thyroid surgery
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid nodules
We combine sophisticated imaging technology with our vast expertise to diagnose endocrine problems accurately the first time. A precise diagnosis allows us to deliver the most effective treatments. Our advanced diagnostic procedures include:
- Needle biopsy (fine needle aspiration), a procedure that uses a thin needle to remove a tissue sample so it can be tested in a lab
- Molecular testing to evaluate thyroid nodules and help patients avoid unnecessary surgery
- Blood tests that measure blood calcium and hormone levels
- State-of-the-art imaging techniques that produce detailed images, including 4D parathyroid CT for hyperparathyroidism
Minimally invasive procedures
Our surgeons lead the nation in targeted treatments for hyperparathyroidism, thyroid cancer and adrenal disease. We specialize in procedures that involve shorter recovery time and less pain than traditional surgery. We reduce scarring using small, strategically placed incisions. A few months after surgery, many of these scars are barely noticeable.
Endocrine conditions we treat
Our endocrine surgeons have special training and extensive experience. We perform surgery for conditions affecting the thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands and pancreas. We also work with UCLA Health genetics experts to help people with genetic disorders that can cause endocrine problems. Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Adrenal disease, including tumors of the adrenal glands (triangular glands on top of the kidneys that produce hormones)
- Genetic disorders that cause endocrine problems, including multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN)
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Pancreatic tumors, including insulinoma and gastrinoma
- Parathyroid disease or hyperparathyroidism, which can cause hypercalcemia (high blood calcium levels)
- Thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer
- Thyroid disease in pregnancy
Endocrine treatments we offer
As leaders in endocrine treatments, we have specialized training in advanced techniques that reduce or eliminate scarring. Our experts are skilled at delivering targeted treatments for disorders and diseases of the adrenal glands, thyroid, parathyroid and pancreas. We specialize in:
- Focused parathyroidectomy: Minimally invasive surgery to remove overactive parathyroid glands
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: Minimally invasive technique that uses small incisions to remove the adrenal glands
- Radioiodine ablation: A treatment for thyroid cancer that uses iodine to destroy cancerous tissues in the thyroid
- Radiofrequency ablation: A treatment for thyroid nodules that uses heat to destroy the nodules
- Targeted therapy for thyroid cancers: Therapies include tyrosine kinase inhibitors and external beam radiation therapy
- Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach (TOETVA): An innovative procedure to remove the thyroid gland without leaving visible scars
Meet our endocrine surgery team
Our world-renowned endocrine surgeons are highly skilled in advanced diagnostics, targeted treatments and minimally invasive procedures. We work with adult and pediatric endocrinologists and radiologists to provide you with expert care.