Angela M. Leung, MD, MSC
Los Angeles, California 90095
Dr. Angela M. Leung is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and an endocrinologist at both UCLA and the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System.
After pursuing her undergraduate studies at Occidental College, Dr. Leung completed her internal medicine residency and endocrinology fellowship training at Boston University School of Medicine. She also studied at the Boston University School of Public Health and obtained a master's degree in Epidemiology.
Dr. Leung has particular clinical and research interests in thyroid disorders, and she also sees patients regarding parathyroid and adrenal disorders. She has published widely and lectures frequently on thyroid disease, including hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, and thyroid disease during pregnancy.
Medical Board Certification
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2023
Areas of Focus
Dr. Leung's research interests include Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid nodules and Thyroid cancer, Thyroid in pregnancy, Iodine nutrition, and Environmental and dietary Thyroid disruptors.
In the News
Note: News links may expire without notice.
- Levothyroxine dosing: Morning, night, or in between? Medscape. Available at: Levothyroxine Dosing: Morning, Night, or In Between? (Published March 22, 2019)
- Thyroid cancer in 2019: Question that remain unanswered. Medscape. Available at: Thyroid Cancer in 2019 and the Questions That Remain Unanswered (Published January 28, 2019)
- Perspective: Prenatal multivitamins provide uneven source of iodine. Endocrine Today. Available at: Prenatal Multivitamins Provide Uneven Source Of Iodine (Published October 23, 2018)
- Managing Graves' disease during pregnancy: Risks and benefits. Endocrine Web. Available at: Managing Graves' Disease During Pregnancy: Risks and Benefits (Published November 6, 2018)
- Diet can influence thyroid function. Endocrine Today. Available at: Diet Can Influence Thyroid Function (Published November 5, 2018)
- The love-hate relationship with levothyroxine. Perspective: Medscape Diabetes and Endocrinology. Available at: The Love-Hate Relationship With Levothyroxine (Published October 25, 2018)
- Diet for thyroid disease: What you need to know. Endocrine Web. Available at: Thyroid Diet: How To Eat with a Thyroid Disorder (Published October 10, 2018)
- The thyroid diet: Is there such a thing? Perspective: Medscape Diabetes and Endocrinology. Available at: The Thyroid Diet: Is There Such a Thing? (Published August 27, 2018)
- Wendy Williams: Learning to stay in remission for Graves' disease - Endocrine Web (April 16, 2018)
- Levothyroxine – Is morning still the best time to take it? - Endocrine Web (April 8, 2018)
- Is it my thyroid? - Woman's Day (November 2017)
- TERT, BRAF mutations mean poor papillary thyroid cancer outcomes - Medscape (October 27, 2017)
- Mycophenolate add-on improves Graves' orbitopathy - Medscape (October 23, 2017)
- Endocrine dysfunction may follow immune checkpoint inhibitor therapies - Endocrine Today (September 27, 2017)
- Women who drink milk within one hour of taking thyroid-replacement medications absorb as much as 39 percent less of the hormone - First for Women magazine (September 12, 2017 issue)
- Lenvatinib prolongs life in older patients with thyroid cancer - Medscape (June 20, 2017)
- Hypothyroid and older? You may not need treatment - EndocrineWeb (May 9, 2017)
- Hillary Clinton puts hypothyroidism options in the spotlight - Medsape (October 2016)
- Sharp decline in antithyroid-drug embryopathy seen after alert - Medscape (October 2016)
- Long-term results support low-dose radioiodine efficacy for DTC - Medscape (September 2016)
- Judge on EPA: Someone needs to 'light a fire under them': The Environmental Protection Agency has a reputation formissing regulatory deadlines, including one for keeping perchlorate out of drinking water - Undark magazine (September 2016)
- Iodinated contrast media tied to hypothyroidism in children - Medscape (April 2016)
- Iodinated contrast media exposure increases hypothyroidism risk in children - Endocrine Today (March 2016)
- Maternal iodine status may affect childhood IQ (December 2015)
- Thyroid dysfunction and hyperlipidemia (November 2013)
- Thyroid hormone common contaminant in weight-loss supplements (October 2015)
- Can kale cause hypothyroidism? (July 2014)
- Speaking of women - Radio interview with Christina Lucas (June 9, 2017)
Pregnancy and thyroid: Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism - "Doctor Thyroid" podcast with Philip James (Published October 18, 2017)
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2023