Dr. Pouyan Famini grew up in the San Fernando Valley and earned his Bachelor's of Science in Biology from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He then went on to the Albany Medical College in New York for his Medical Degree and returned to Los Angeles to complete residency training in Internal Medicine and specialty training in Endocrinology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and West Los Angeles VA Medical Center. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. Following his training, Dr. Famini was in private practice for two years in Van Nuys practicing Endocrinology and treating hormone related disorders before joining UCLA.
His clinical interests include adrenal, bone (osteopenia/osteoporosis), pituitary, parathyroid, reproductive and thyroid disorders. He has a special interest in thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. His research interests have included pituitary disease. In his free time, he enjoys keeping up with his favorite sports teams, reading and traveling with his family. He also speaks fluent Persian (Farsi).
Medical Board Certifications
- Pituitary disease
- Thyroid cancer
- Azizyan, A., Miller, J. M., Azzam, R. I., Maya, M. M., Famini, P., Pressman, B. D., & Moser, F. G. (2015). Spontaneous retroclival hematoma in pituitary apoplexy: case series. Journal of neurosurgery, 123(3), 808-812.
- Famini, P., & Melmed, S. (2014). Pituitary apoplexy. In Endocrine Emergencies (pp. 175-211). Humana Press.
- Famini, P., Maya, M. M., & Melmed, S. (2011). Pituitary magnetic resonance imaging for sellar and parasellar masses: ten-year experience in 2598 patients. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 96(6), 1633- 1641.
- Streja, L., Famini, P., & Streja, D. A. (2007, June). Clinical inertia and GFR decline in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension. In DIABETES (Vol. 56, pp. A308-A308). 1701 N BEAUREGARD ST, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22311-1717 USA: AMER DIABETES ASSOC.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society Award 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society Award 2005