"I work to provide high quality patient centered care for patients with brain, neck and spinal blood vessel disorders. In addition to treating patients, I also strive to expand medical knowledge and improve brain vessel disorder treatments through cerebrovascular research, innovation and education."
Dr. Jeremiah Johnson is Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA specializing in the surgical and endovascular treatment of complex brain and spinal cord vascular conditions including, brain aneurysms, brain arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs), cavernous malformations, spinal vascular malformations, carotid stenosis, intracranial stenosis, and moyamoya disease including intracranial bypass surgery. He is one of the rare dual-trained neurosurgeons who can offer the highest level minimally invasive endovascular and microsurgical solutions to cerebrovascular brain vessel disorders.
In addition to his expertise in cerebrovascular neurosurgery, Dr. Johnson is a nationally recognized leader in organized national neurosurgery, recently serving as the elected national chair of the Young Neurosurgeons Committee (YNC) of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS). He has notably served as reviewer and editorial board member for the Journal of Neurosurgery and founded and hosts several notable national neurosurgery educational efforts including, the YNC-NREF Webinar series and Neurosurgeon’s Journey Podcast.
To date, Dr. Johnson has authored over 100 combined publications, editorials and book chapters on cerebrovascular neurosurgical topics and has participated in NIH funded research focused on neuro-endovascular device innovation and investigated endovascularly delivered neuro-oncology treatments in the laboratory and translational setting.
Dr. Johnson joined UCLA from Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Department of Neurosurgery where he was Assistant Professor and Co-director of the BCM Neuro-innovations Laboratory. Dr. Johnson completed his neurosurgery residency training as well as a minimally invasive endovascular neurosurgery fellowship training at the University of Miami. He underwent an additional year of post-graduate fellowship training focused on cerebrovascular microsurgery at Stanford University under the tutelage of Dr. Gary Steinberg. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia and medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia. He was awarded the Joe Niekro Brain Aneurysm Foundation Patient Choice award for outstanding patient care and has been honored as a "Top Doctor" in multiple publications.
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- Cerebrovascular Device Innovation
- Cerebrospinal Venous System
- Advancement of Clinical Endovascular and Cerebrovascular Treatments via Clinical Research
- Endovascular NeuroOncology
SELECTED RESEARCH PAPERS - PEER REVIEWED
- Sanchez VE , Haider AS, Rowe SE, Wahood W, Sagoo NS, Ozair A, El Ahmadieh MD TY, Kan P, Johnson JN. “Comparison of Blister Aneurysm Treatment Techniques: A Systematic Review and Meta- Analysis” World Neurosurg. 2021 Jul 2:S1878-8750(21) PMID: 34224880.
- Huq S, Philips CA, Sivakumar W, Dornbos DL, Graffeo CS, Mukherjee D, Wolfe SQ, Johnson JN. “American Association of Neurological Surgeons Young Neurosurgeons Committee: The First 30 Years” Journal of Neurosurgery 2021
- Srinivasan VM, Gumin J, Camstra KM, Collins DE, Chen MM, Shpall EJ, Parker Kerrigan BC, Johnson JN, Chen SR, Fueyo J, Gomez-Manzano C, Lang FF, Kan P. Endovascular Selective Intra-Arterial Infusion of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Loaded with Delta-24 in a Canine Model. Neurosurgery. 2020 Dec 15;88(1):E102-E113. PMID: 33231254
- Cherian J, Chen SR, Puri A, Vakharia K, Levy E, Eshraghi S, Howard BM, Tong FC, Cawley CM, Gross B, Alexander MD, Grandhi R, Srinivasan VM, Burkhardt JK, Johnson JN, Kan P. “Postmarket American Experience With Woven EndoBridge Device: Adjudicated Multicenter Case Series.” Neurosurgery. 2021 May. PMID: 33989398
- Srinivasan VM, Lazaro TT, Srivatsan A, Cooper P, Phillips M, Garcia R, Chen SR, Johnson JN, Burkhardt JK, Collins DE, Kan P.“Applications of a Novel Microangioscope for Neuroendovascular Intervention.” AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2021;42(2):347-353. PMID: 33361372
- Kan P, Maragkos GA, Srivatsan A, Srinivasan V, Johnson JN, Burkhardt JK, Robinson TM, Salem MM, Chen S, Riina HA, Tanweer O, Levy EI, Spiotta AM, Kasab SA, Lena J, Gross BA, Cherian J, Cawley CM, Howard BM, Khalessi AA, Pandey AS, Ringer AJ, Hanel R, Ortiz RA, Langer D, Kelly CM, Jankowitz BT, Ogilvy CS, Moore JM, Levitt MR, Binning M, Grandhi R, Siddiq F, Thomas AJ. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Multi-Center Experience of 154 Consecutive Embolizations. Neurosurgery. 2021 Jan 13;88(2):268-277. PMID: 33026434
- Srivatsan A, Srinivasan VM, Starke RM, Peterson EC, Yavagal DR, Hassan AE, Alawieh A, Spiotta AM, Saleem Y, Fargen KM, Wolfe SQ, de Leacy RA, Singh IP, Maier IL, Johnson JN, Burkhardt JK, Chen SR, Kan P. Early Postmarket Results with EmboTrap II Stent Retriever for Mechanical Thrombectomy: A Multicenter Experience. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2021 Mar 11. PMID: 33707283
- Hadley C, Burkhardt JK, Johnson JN, Kan P. “Crossing the Carotid Siphon: Techniques to Facilitate Distal Access in Tortuous Anatomy: 2-Dimensional Operative Video” Operative Neurosurgery, 2021 Apr 2. PMID: 3382219
- Lee KS, Zhang JJY, Nguyen V, Han J, Johnson JN, Kirollos R, Teo M. “The Evolution of Intracranial Aneurysm Treatment Techniques and Future Directions.” Neurosurgical Review 2021 Apr 23 PMID: 33891216
- Wagner K.M., Ghali M.G.Z., Srinivasan V.M., Lam S., Johnson J.N., Chen S., Kan P. “Vein of Galen Malformations: The Texas Children's Hospital Experience in the Modern Endovascular Era” Operative Neurosurgery 17 (3), 286-292 PMID: 31111161
- Lazaro T., Srinivasan V.M., Cooper P., Phillips M., Garcia R., Chen S.R., Johnson J.N., Collins D.E., Kan P. “A New Set of Eyes: Development of a Novel Microangioscope for Neurointerventional Surgery” Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery March 16 2019. PMID 30878951
- Srivatsan A., Mohanty A., Nascimento F.A., Hafeez M.U., Srinivasan V.M., Thomas A., Chen S.R., Johnson J.N., Kan P. “Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Chronic Subdural Hematoma: Meta-analysis and Systematic Review” World Neurosurgery. 2018 Nov. S1878-8750(18)32726-8. PMID 30481628
- Teo M., Johnson J.N., Steinberg G.K.. “Strategies for and Outcome of Repeat Revascularization Surgery for Moyamoya Disease: An American Institutional Series.” Neurosurgery, 81(5):852-859 June 10 2017. PMID: 28605467.
- Bekelis K., Missios S., Coy S.M., Johnson J.N.. “Does Ranking of Surgeons in a Publicly Available Online Platform Correlate with Objective Outcomes?” Journal of Neurosurgery Spine - J Neurosurg. 127(2):353-359, 2016: PMID: 27834595
- Steinberg G.K., Kondziolka D., Wechsler L.R., Lunsford L.D., Coburn M.L., Billigen J.B., Kim A.S., Johnson J.N., Bates D., King B., Case C., McGrogan M., Yankee E.W., Schwartz N.E.. “Safety and Efficacy of Stereotactic Intracranial Transplantation of Modified Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells (SB623) in Patients with Chronic Stroke: A Phase 1/2A Study” Stroke. 2016 July; 47(7): 1817-24. PMID: 27256670
- Srinivasan VM, Lang FF, Chen SR, Chen MM, Johnson JN, Burkhardt JK, Kan P. “Advances in endovascular neuro-oncology: endovascular selective intra-arterial (ESIA) infusion of targeted biologic therapy for brain tumors” Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery 2020. Feb;12(2):197-203. PMID: 31676690
- Srinivasan, V. M., Gumin, J., Camstra, K. M., Chen, S. R., Johnson, J. N., Shimizu, Y., Parker Kerrigan, B. C., Shpall, E. J., Lang, F. F., & Kan, P. “Microcatheter delivery of neurotherapeutics: compatibility with mesenchymal stem cells” Journal of Neurosurgery JNS, 1-9 2019. PMID: 31491769
- Srivatsan A, Srinivasan VM, Chen S, Kan P, Johnson JN. Intra-Arterial Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa Inhibitor Treatment for Symptomatic Intracranial Atherosclerotic Stenosis Presenting as Large Vessel Occlusions. Cureus. 2020;12(7):e9243. 2020 Jul 17. doi:10.7759/cureus.9243 PMID: 32821589
- Srinivasan VM, Hadley CC, Prablek M, LoPresti M, Chen SH, Peterson EC, Sweid A, Jabbour P, Young C, Levitt M, Osbun JW, Burkhardt JK, Johnson JN, Kan P. Feasibility and safety of transradial access for pediatric neurointerventions. J Neurointerv Surg. 2020 Sep;12(9):893-896. PMID: 32241922
- Camstra KM, Srinivasan VM, Collins D, Chen S, Kan P, Johnson JN. “Canine Model for Selective and Superselective Cerebral Intra-Arterial Therapy Testing” Neurointervention. 2020 Aug 11. PMID: 32777874
*Full publication list viewable at Google Scholar.
In the News
- The Neurosurgeon's Journey Podcast - Co-Host - Listen
- YNC-NREF Webinar Series - Host - Watch
- New Stroke Procedure Helps Woman Recover From Stroke Quickly - Watch
- Brain Aneurysm Awareness - Watch
- Twitter: twitter.com/jerjohnson
- Instagram: instagram.com/jeremiahjohnsonmd/
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/jeremiahnjohnson/
- Healthgrades: healthgrades.com/physician/dr-jeremiah-johnson-gdcmr
- Facebook: facebook.com/jeremiahjohnsonmd
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2022,2023
- Top Doctor, Houstonia Magazine, 2021, 2020
- Super Doctor, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2020
- Patient Choice, Joe Niekro Brain Aneurysm and AVM Foundation, 2019
- Top Doctor Rising Star, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2019, 2018, 2017
- Rosomoff Research Award, University of Miami, Department of Neurosurgery, 2013
- CNS SANS National Neurosurgical Knowledge Challenge -1st Place, Congress of Neurological Surgery, 2012
- Teacher of the Year Award, University of Miami, Department of Neurosurgery, 2012, 2011
- American Medical Association Foundation Leadership Award, American MedicalAssociation, 2006