Justin P. McWilliams, MD
Dr. McWilliams obtained his Bachelor of Science in Biology at Truman State University in Missouri, where he graduated valedictorian and Summa Cum Laude. He then attended the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, where he received multiple letters of distinction and was selected for the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. After completing a transitional internship at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City, Dr. McWilliams returned to UCLA for radiology residency. There he served as Chief Resident, and also received awards for Outstanding Radiology Resident and Outstanding Graduating Senior Resident. He then remained at UCLA for interventional radiology fellowship, at which time he also served as Chief Fellow. Upon completion of his fellowship, Dr. McWilliams accepted a faculty position in the interventional radiology department at UCLA. There he splits his time between angio/interventional procedures and cross-sectional interventional procedures, with a focus on HHT, interventional oncology, prostate embolization, vascular disease, dialysis work, and liver interventions.
Medical Board Certification
- Interventional Oncology
- Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia
- Prostate Artery Embolization
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Venous Thromboembolic Disease
- Radiofrequency and Microwave Ablation
- Transarterial Chemoembolization
- Liver Interventions
- Dialysis Interventions
Most recent publications:
- McWilliams JP, Yamamoto S, Raman SS, Loh CT, Lee EW, Liu DM, Kee ST. Percutaneous ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma: current status. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010; 21:S204-13.
- McWilliams JP, Lee EW, Yamamoto S, Loh CT, Kee ST. Image-guided tumor ablation: emerging technologies and future directions. Semin Intervent Radiol 2010; 27:302-13.
- Al-Hakim R, Kee ST, Olinger K, Lee EW, Moriarty JM, McWilliams JP. Inferior vena cava filter retrieval: effectiveness and complications of routine and advanced techniques. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2014; 25: 933-939.
- McWilliams JP, Kuo MD, Rose SC, Bagla S, Caplin DM, Cohen EI, Faintuch S, Spies JB, Saad WE, Nikolic B. Society of Interventional Radiology position statement: prostate artery embolization for treatment of benign disease of the prostate. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2014; 25:1349-51.
- Sehl ME, Gruber T, McWilliams JP, Marder VJ. Successful management of chronic gastrointestinal hemorrhage using bevacizumab in the setting of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Am J Hematol 2015; 90:561-563.
- Li CH*, Traube LE, Lu DS, Raman SS, Danovitch GM, Gritsch HA, McWilliams JP. Implementation and results of a percutaneous renal allograft biopsy protocol to reduce complication rate. J Am Coll Radiol 2016; 13:549-53.
- Thamtorawat S, Hicks RM, Yu J, Siripongsakun S, Lin WC, Raman SS, McWilliams JP, Douek M, Bahrami S, Lu DS. Preliminary outcome of microwave ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma: breaking the 3-cm barrier? J Vasc Interv Radiol 2016; 27:623-30.
- McWilliams JP, Shah RP, Quirk M, White SB, Dybul SL, Ahrar J, Steele JR, Kwan SW, Handel J, Winokur RS, Gilliland CA, Durack JC. Standardized reporting in interventional radiology: a prospective multi-institutional pilot study. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2016; 27:1779-1785.
- Mirakhur A, McWilliams JP. Prostate artery embolization for benign prostatic hyperplasia: current status. Can Assoc Radiol J 2017; 68:84-89.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2018
- Super Doctors ® Southern California 2017
- JVIR Editor’s Award for Distinguished Clinical Study 2016
- UCLA Health Teaching Humanism in Medicine Award 2016
- Southern California Rising Stars, Super Doctors®, 2015
- Southern California Rising Stars, Super Doctors®, 2014
- Southern California Rising Stars, Super Doctors®, 2013
- Robert I. White Young Clinician of the Year Award 2011