Medical Board Certification
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
UCLA Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital
Areas of Focus
As a general internal medicine physician and population health scientist, my research explores ways to reduce health disparities through policies that promote equitable access to stable, affordable housing and neighborhoods that promote opportunities for health.
- Chen KL, Chen K, Holaday L, Lopez L. Assessing Concordance Across Nonprofit Hospitals' Public Reporting on Housing as a Community Health Need in the Era of the Affordable Care Act. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2021. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000001357.
- Djulbegovic M, Kulkarni SA, Chen KL, Canavan M, White MA, McGuire WC, Shan S, Reddy R, Kay S, Fraenkel L. The Patient Care Ownership Scale: External Validation of an Instrument that Measures Patient Care Ownership amongst Internal Medicine Trainees. A Multi-Institutional Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2021. doi:10.1007/s11606-021-06703-x.
- Chen KL, Brozen M, Rollman JE, Ward T, Norris K, Gregory KD, Zimmerman FJ. How is the COVID-19 Pandemic Shaping Transportation Access to Health Care? Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives. 2021;10:100338. doi:10.1016/j.trip.2021.100338.
- Chen KL, Wisk LE, Nuckols TK, Elmore JG, Steers WN, Zimmerman FJ. Unmet Medical Needs Among Adults Who Move due to Unaffordable Housing: California Health Interview Survey, 2011–2017. J Gen Intern Med. 2020. doi:10.1007/s11606-020-06347-3.
- Chen K, Chen KL, Lopez L. Investments in Community Building Among Nonprofit Hospitals in the United States. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(10):e2021898. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.21898.
- Glenn BA, Chen KL, Chang LC, Lin T, Bastani R. Skin Examination Practices Among Melanoma Survivors and Their Children. J Cancer Educ. 2017 Jun;32(2):335-343. doi:10.1007/s13187-016-0998-1.
- Glenn BA, Bastani R, Chang LC, Khanna R, Chen K. Sun Protection Practices Among Children with a Family History of Melanoma: a Pilot Study. J Cancer Educ. 2012 Dec;27(4):731-7. doi:10.1007/s13187-012-0377-5.
In the News
“No Place to Call their Own: Addressing Homelessness and Housing in the ED.” Podcast interview with Katherine Joyce. EMRA*Cast. Emergency Medicine Residents' Association. 2021 April 15. Available at https://www.emra.org/about-emra/publications/emra-cast/homelessness/
Radio interview with Dan Mitchinson. KCBS News Radio San Francisco. 2020 Dec 30. Available at http://archive.tveyes.com/18120/3452311-49235/1fc5f177-7551-48aa-9b83-54dba9dd6fda/RADKCBS_12-31-2020_01.32.02.mp3
Newspaper interview with Amy Norton. Moves, Evictions Often Trigger Harmful Breaks in Health Care: Study. U.S. News & World Report via HealthDay. 2021 Jan 06. Available at https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-01-06/moves-evictions-often-trigger-harmful-breaks-in-health-care-study
National Research Service Award T32 Primary Care Research Fellowship (2021-2023)
Specialty Training and Advanced Research Fellowship (2021-2023)
UCLA Chancellor’s Award for Postdoctoral Research (2021)
UCLA Ziman Center Research Scholar (2020)
Iris Cantor-UCLA Women’s Health Center/UCLA National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health Pilot Award (2020)
University of California Institute of Transportation Studies COVID-19 Response and Recovery Research Grant (2020)
National Clinician Scholars Program (2019-2021)
Commendation for Excellence in Medical Student Teaching, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (2016 & 2018)
Geffen Scholarship, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine (2011-2015)