Dr. Kunal Patel graduated at the top of his class with Alpha Omega Alpha honors at Weill-Cornell Medical College, New York, NY and completed a 1-year research Howard Hughes Medical Institute fellowship at the University of California, San Diego.
Dr. Patel completed his residency training at the University of California, Los Angeles with an enfolded fellowship in neurosurgical oncology.
Dr. Patel is an author on over 75 medical research publications, has had his research funded by the Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine, Jonasson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Burrough's Wellcome Fund, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and American Brain Tumor Association. He has won research awards through the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, and North American Skull Base Society. He has been awarded resident performance awards for research, for the ABNS Board Examination, and for teaching.
Areas of Focus
Dr. Patel's research interests include advanced imaging for brain tumors.
Dr. Patel is funded by the following grants/organizations:
- NIH/NCATS KL2TR001882
- NIH/NCI P30CA016042
- NIH/NCI P50CA211015
- Eli & Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine
- Jonasson Cancer Center
- Neurosurgical Research and Education Fund
Dr. Patel's recent publications in peer reviewed medical journals include:
- Patel KS, Yao J, Raymond C, Yong W, Everson R, Liau LM, Nathanson D, Kornblum H, Wang C, Oughourlian T, Lai A, Nghiemphu PL, Pope WB, Cloughesy TF, Ellingson BM. Decorin expression is associated with predictive diffusion MR phenotypes of anti-VEGF efficacy in glioblastoma. Sci Rep. 2020 Sep 9;10(1):14819. PMCID: PMC7481206.
- Patel KS, Everson RG, Yao J, Raymond C, Goldman J, Schlossman J, Tsung J, Tan C, Pope WB, Ji MS, Nguyen NT, Lai A, Nghiemphu PL, Liau LM, Cloughesy TF, Ellingson BM. Diffusion Magnetic Resonance Imaging Phenotypes Predict Overall Survival Benefit From Bevacizumab or Surgery in Recurrent Glioblastoma With Large Tumor Burden. Neurosurgery. 2020 Oct 15;87(5):931-938. PMCID: PMC7566341.
- Patel KS, Laiwalla AN, DiCesare JA, Garrett MC, Wang AC. Subcutaneous sumatriptan: association with decreases in postoperative pain and opioid use after elective cranial surgery. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2020;134(2):401–9.
- Patel KS, Kejriwal S, Thammachantha S, Duong C, Murillo A, Gordon LK, et al. Increased epithelial membrane protein 2 expression in glioblastoma after treatment with bevacizumab. Neuro-oncology advances. 2020;2(1):vdaa112.
- Patel KS, Kejriwal S, Sun MM, Thammachantha S, Duong C, Chan A, et al. Identification of epithelial membrane protein 2 (EMP2) as a molecular marker and correlate for angiogenesis in meningioma. Journal of neuro-oncology. 2020;147(1):15–24.
- Patel KS, Sun MZ, Willis SL, Alemnew M, De Jong R, Evans AS, et al. Selective scalp block decreases short term post-operative pain scores and opioid use after craniotomy: A case series. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2021;93:183–7.
- Patel KS, Ng E, Kaur T, Miao T, Kaprealian T, Lee P, Pouratian N, Selch MT, De Salles AAF, Gopen Q, Tenn S, Yang I. Increased cochlear radiation dose predicts delayed hearing loss following both stereotactic radiosurgery and fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for vestibular schwannoma. J Neurooncol. 2019 Nov;145(2):329-337.
- Patel KS, Yao Y, Wang R, Carter BS, Chen CC. Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging assessment of non-functioning pituitary adenomas during transsphenoidal surgery. Pituitary. 2016 Apr;19(2):222-31.
- Patel KS, Kazam J, Tsiouris AJ, Anand VK, Schwartz TH. Utility of early postoperative high-resolution volumetric magnetic resonance imaging after transsphenoidal pituitary tumor surgery. World Neurosurg. 2014 Nov;82(5):777-80. PMCID: PMC4258143.
- Resident Performance Award Teaching, UCLA Neurosurgery, 2022
- Resident Research Day Award, UCLA Neurosurgery, 2022
- Resident Performance Award - ABNS Primary Examination, UCLA Neurosurgery, 2021
- Resident Performance Award Research, UCLA Neurosurgery, 2021
- Best Basic Science Abstract, North American Skull Base Society, 2020
- Resident Performance Award ABNS Primary Examination, UCLA Neurosurgery, 2019
- John Metcalf Polk Prize, Highest Scholastic Performance at Graduation, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2016