Professional Title: Director, Gonda Diabetes Center
Matthew Freeby, MD is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, Director of the Gonda Diabetes Center and the Associate Director of Diabetes Clinical Programs at the David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine.
He completed his residency in internal medicine at UC San Diego and a fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at Columbia University. After training, he joined the faculty at Columbia University specializing in diabetes care and research at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center. There, he collaborated with basic researchers and has published in diabetes-related stem cell research and the evaluation of non-invasive measures of beta cell mass. He has also reviewed the benefits of continuous glucose monitoring and evaluated best methods in transition of young adults with type 1 diabetes to adult care.
At UCLA, he has collaborated with faculty and staff with the aim to improve diabetes access and care within the health system. He works closely with the diabetes education team who provide consultation in one-on-one settings or in workshops. Additionally, he leads other programs targeting high risk patients with type 2 diabetes with the goal of increasing access to Endocrinology physicians. He also leads an annual UCLA Professional Diabetes Symposium geared toward primary care providers and allied health professionals hoping to learn more about the care of diabetes and its associated co-morbidities.
In addition to program building within UCLA Health, he sees patients with diabetes at the Gonda Diabetes Center in Westwood and the UCLA Diabetes Center of Santa Monica.
Medical Board Certification
- Goland R*, Freeby M*, Parsey R*, Saisho Y, Kumar D, Simpson N, Hirsch J, Prince M, Maffei M, Mann JJ, Butler PC, Van Heertum R, Leibel RL, Ichise M, Harris PE. 11C-Dihydrotetrabenazine PET of the Pancreas in Subjects with Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes and in Healthy Controls. J Nuclear Medicine. 2009, 50(3): 382-389.
- Stein EM, Cohen A, Freeby M, Rogers H, Kokolus S, Scott V, Mancini D, Restaino S, Brown R, McMahon DJ, Shane E. Severe vitamin D deficiency among heart and liver transplant recipients. Clinical Transplantation. April 2009. 23(6): 861-
- Inabnet WB, Milone L, Harris P, Durak E, Freeby MJ, Ahmed L, Sebastien M, Lifante JC, Bessler M, Korner J. The Utility of 11C dihydrotetrabenazine positron emission tomography scanning in assessing beta-cell performance after sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal-jejunal bypass. Surgery. 2010, 147(2): 303-309.
- Noggle S, Fung HL, Gore A, Martinez H, Satriani KC, Prosser R, Oum K, Paull D, Druckenmiller S, Freeby M, Greenberg E, Zhang K, Goland R, Sauer MV, Leibel RL, Egli D. Human Oocytes Reprogram Somatic Cells to a Pluripotent State. Nature. 2011, 478(7367):70-5.
- Simpson N, Maffei A, Freeby M, Burroughs S, Freyberg Z, Javitch J, Leibel R, Harris P. Dopamine Mediated Autocrine Inhibitory Circuit Regulating Human Insulin Secretion In Vitro. Molecular Endocrinology. 2012, 26(10):1757-72.
- Freeby M, Ichise M, Harris P. Vesicular Monoamine Transporter, type 2 (VMAT2) Expression as it Compares to Insulin and Pancreatic Polypeptide in the Head, Body and Tail of the Human Pancreas. Islets. 2012, 4(6):1-5.
- Hua H, Shang L, Martinez H, Freeby M, Gallagher MP, Ludwig T, Deng L, Greenberg E, LeDuc C, Chung W, Goland R, Leibel R, Egli D. iPSC-Derived β Cells Model Diabetes due to Glucokinase Deficiency. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2013, 123(7):3146-53.
- Shang L Hua H, Foo K, Martinez H, Watanabe K, Zimmer M, Kahler D, Freeby M, Chung W, LeDuc C, Goland R, Leibel R, Egli D. Beta Cell Dysfunction Due to Increased ER Stress in a Stem Cell Model of Wolfram Syndrome. Diabetes. 2014, 63(3):923-33.
- Yamada M, Johannesson B, Sagi I, Burnett LC, Kort DH, Prosser RW, Paull D, Nestor M, Freeby M, Greenberg E, Goland RS, Leibel RL, Solomon SL, Benvenisty N, Sauer MV, Egli D. Human Oocytes Reprogram Adult Somatic Nuclei of a Type 1 Diabetic to Diploid Puripotent Stem Cells. Nature. 2014, 510(7506):533-6.
- Wang L, Meece K, Williams DJ, Lo KA, Zimmer M, Heinrich G, Martin Carli J, Leduc CA, Sun L, Zeltser LM, Freeby M, Goland R, Tsang SH, Wardlaw SL, Egli D, Leibel RL. Differentiation of hypothalamic-like neurons from human pluripotent stem cells. J Clin Invest. 2015, 125(2):796-808.
- Freeby MJ, Kringas P, Goland RS, Leibel RL, Maffei A, Divgi C, Ichise M, Harris PE. Cross-Sectional Test-Retest Characterization of PET with [18F]-FP-+-DTBZ for β Cell Mass Estimates in Diabetes. Molecular Imaging Biology. September, 2015.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018