Dr. Philip Cohen is a primary care sports medicine physician who practices in Encino. He is board certified in internal medicine and sports medicine, and enjoys proactively working with patients to optimize their health and performance and prevent any injuries before they start. He is also an associate clinical professor of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Dr. Cohen grew up in New Jersey and graduated from the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Wake Forest University and a fellowship in primary care sports medicine at UCLA. He received his undergraduate degree in psychology from Yale University, graduating cum laude.
Before he came to UCLA Health in 2017, Dr. Cohen spent 17 years as an attending internist and primary care physician for Rutgers Health Services—10 as the assistant team physician for Rutgers University Sports Medicine.
When he's not working, Dr. Cohen enjoys long-distance running and cheering for the New York Mets.
Medical Board Certifications
- The Effects of High Intensity and Sprint Interval Training on Running Performance and Aerobic Fitness
- Differential Effects of Training Volume and Intensity on Long Distance Running Performance
- Martial Arts Injuries During Training
- Sun-Protective Behavior in Young Athletes
- Concussion Diagnosis, Prevention, and Safe Return to Activity
- 2014 Long Bone Fractures. British Medical Journal Best Practice
- 2013 Hand and Finger Injuries. Cohen, PH. In "Pediatric Sports Medicine: Essentials for Office Evaluation", Koutures, C, Wong, V (Eds.), pp.211-217. SLACK Incorporated.
- 2008 Sports Pre-Participation Physical Exam: British Medical Journal Best Practice
- 2008 Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries: British Medical Journal Best Practice
- 2006 Cohen PH, Tsai HH, Puffer JC. Sun-Protective Behavior in High School and Collegiate Athletes in Los Angeles, California. Clin J Sport Med. 2006; 16:253-260.
- Cohen PH. Encounter form for patients with acute knee injuries. Letters to the Editor. Am Fam. Physician. 2005; 72:1966-75.
- 2005 Cohen PH. Exercise-Induced Asthma, Anaphylaxis, and Urticaria. In: "The Expert's Guide to Sports Medicine." American College of Physicians.
- 2005 Cohen PH. Genitourinary Problems in Athletes. In: "The Expert's Guide to Sports Medicine." American College of Physicians.
- 2005 Cohen PH. Cardiomyopathy in Young Athletes. Cortlandt Forum. April, 2005.
- 2004 Hecht S; Puffer JC; Clinton C; Aish B; Cohen PH; Concoff A; Hosey R; Lai A; Luftman J; Tsai H; Vigil D. Concussion assessment in football and soccer players. Clin J Sport Med, 2004,14(5):310.
- 2004 Levandowski R, Cohen PH: "Knee Injuries." In: Birrer RB, "Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician", 3rd edition, p. 617-645, CRC Press, 2004
- 2004 Levandowski R, Cohen PH: "Thigh Injuries." In: Birrer RB, "Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician", 3rd edition, p. 609-615, CRC Press, 2004
- 2002 Cohen PH; Tsai HH; Puffer JC: "A Descriptive Study of Sun-Protective Behavior in High School and Collegiate Athletes in Los Angeles, California", Med Sci Sports Exer, May 2002, 34(5), p.S156
- 2002 Cohen PH: "Kinder, Gentler Suture Removal". Phys Sports Med 2002, 30(2): 64
- 2001 Cohen PH; Puffer JC: "Suprascapular Nerve Palsy". In: Bracker MD, "The 5 Minute Sports Medicine Consult", pp.300-301, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2001
- 2001 Cohen PH; Aish B: "The Acutely Injured Wrist". In: Puffer JC, "20 Common Problems in Sports Medicine," pp. 69-105, Ch.4, McGraw-Hill Co., 2001
- 2000 Hecht S; Puffer JC; Aish B; Cohen PH; et al."Concussion Evaluation in College and High School Football Players and College Soccer Players", Clin J Sports Med 2000; 10(4): 312-313
- 1999 Cohen PH. "Joint mice on X-ray", Hospital Medicine 1999; 35(10): 9
- 2012 Roy Anderson Bowers Award for Exemplary Service to Rutgers University Health Services
- 2008 Volunteer Faculty Teaching Award, UMDNJ-RWJMS Family Medicine Department
- 2004 UMDNJ Outstanding Educator Award, Physician Assistant Student Program
- 2003 ACP-ASIM Community Teaching Recognition Certificate
- 1996 – 1997 Patient Relations Award, North Carolina Baptist Hospital, Winston Salem, NC.
- 1995 – 1997 Housestaff Teaching Award, North Carolina Baptist Hospital, Winston Salem, NC.
- 1994 Alpha Omega Alpha, UMDNJ – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
- 1991 Cum Laude Graduate of Yale University, with Special Distinction in the Field of Psychology