Siddharth Padia, MD
Dr. Siddharth Padia is a specialist in vascular and interventional radiology at UCLA Medical Center. His areas of clinical expertise and research interests include liver cancer, interventional oncology, vascular disease and portal hypertension.
Dr. Padia earned his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. After completing his transitional internship at The University of Hawaii in Honolulu, Dr. Padia began his residency in diagnostic radiology at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and graduated as Chief Resident. After spending many years practicing interventional radiology at the University of Washington, Dr. Padia joined the faculty at UCLA.
Dr. Padia specializes in a novel way to treat liver cancer by infusing highly radioactive particles (Yttrium-90) into the liver, and has treated over 800 patients with this therapy. He recently refined the technique by focusing higher doses to small amounts of tissue. These resulted in a success rate in excess of 90% of patients with liver cancer, and potentially surpasses other forms of treatment for patients with liver cancer. Due to his expertise in this field, he is the primary author of the national treatment guidelines for Yttrium 90 radioembolization, and is a director of the national annual course to educate physicians on this therapy.
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- AV Fistula
- Colorectal Liver Metastases
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)
- Liver Cancer
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Y-90 Radioembolization
- Padia SA, Johnson GE, Horton KJ, Ingraham CR, Kogut MJ, Kwan S, Vaidya S, Monsky WL, Valji K, Yeung RS, Park JO, Bhattacharya R, Hippe DS, Harris WP. Segmental yttrium-90 radioembolization versus segmental chemoembolization for localized hepatocellular carcinoma: results of a single-center, retrospective, propensity score matched study. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2017 Jun; 28: 777-785.
- Padia SA, Lewandowski RJ, Johnson GE, Sze DY, Gaba RC, Baerlocher MO, Gates VL, Riaz A, Brown DB, Siddiqi NH, Walker TG, Silberzweig JE, Mitchell JW, Nikolic B, Salem R. Radioembolization of hepatic malignancies: background, quality improvement guidelines, and future directions. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2017 Jan; 28: 1-15.
- McKay T, Ingraham C, Johnson GE, Kogut MJ, Vaidya S, Padia SA. Cone beam CT with fluoroscopic overlay versus conventional CT guidance for percutaneous abdominopelvic abscess drain placement. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2016 Jan; 27: 52-57.
- Johnson GE, Monsky WL, Valji K, Hippe DS, Padia SA. Yttrium 90 Radioembolization as a salvage treatment following chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2016 Aug; 27: 1123-1129.
- Padia SA, Johnson GE, Yeung RS, Park JO, Hippe DS, Kogut MJ. Irreversible electroporation of the liver: immediate versus delayed findings on MR imaging in humans. Radiology 2016 Jan; 278: 285-294.
- Padia SA. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Techniques in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2015 Dec; 18:227-235.
- Padia SA, Chewning R, Kogut MJ, Kwan S, Bhattacharya R, Hippe D, Valji K. Outcomes of locoregional tumor therapy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, 2015 Aug; 38: 913-921.
- Padia SA, Kwan S, Roudsari BS, Monsky WL. Coveler A, Harris WP. Superselective Yttrium 90 radioembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma yields high response rates with minimal toxicity. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 2014 July; 25:1067-1073
- Padia SA, Alessio A, Kwan S, Vaidya S, Lewis DH, Minoshima S. Comparison of PET and Bremsstrahlung imaging to detect particle distribution in patients undergoing Yttrium-90 radioembolization for large hepatocellular carcinomas or associated portal vein thrombosis. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2013 Aug; 24: 1147-53.
- Padia SA, Shivaram G, Bastawrous S, Bhargava P, Vo NJ, Vaidya S, Valji K, Harris WP, Kwan S, Hippe DS, Kogut MJ. Safety and efficacy of drug-eluting bead chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of small versus medium size particles, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2013 Mar; 24: 301-6.