Dr. Susan Ahern was born and raised in Orange County, California. She now lives with her husband and children in Ventura County. She completed her Internal Medicine Residency, Internal Medicine Chief Residency, and Endocrinology and Metabolism Fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. She is also board certified in Obesity Medicine by the American Board of Obesity Medicine. Her clinical interests include obesity medicine and is part of an insurance based weight loss program at UCLA called the Program for Reducing Obesity (PRO. Other clinical interests include diabetes mellitus, thyroid conditions including thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer, parathyroid conditions, pituitary conditions, gonadal disorders, and transgender medicine. In her spare, time she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children. Dr. Ahern strives to provide high quality, comprehensive, and evidence based care for her patients.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
PEER REVIEWED (PUBLISHED)
- Purdy AC1, Idriss A, Ahern S, Lin E, Elfenbein DM. Dr. Google: The Readability and Accuracy of Patient Education Websites for Graves’ Disease Treatment. Surgery. 2017 Nov;162(5):1148-1154. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2017.07.01 Epub 2017 Aug 30.
- Riestenberg C, Ahern S, Shamonki M. Follicle-stimulating hormone receptor autoantibody associated primary ovarian insufficiency successfully treated with corticosteroids: a case report. F S Rep. 2020 Sep 14;1(3):206-208. doi: 10.1016/j.xfre.2020.09.00 PMID: 34223245; PMCID: PMC8244256.
- Wei J, Lei L, Shieh A, Gupta D, Ahern S, Shen N. Program for Reducing Obesity (PRO): An institutional review of an insurance-based weight loss program utilizing shared medical appointments. Obes Sci Pract. 2021 Sep 25;8(3):272-278. doi: 10.1002/osp4.564. PMID: 35664242; PMCID: PMC9159562.
- Ahern S., Synopsis Osteoporosis Lecture by of Stewart Silverman California Chapter AACE meeting on Osteoporosis Drug Holidays published in the California Chapter of the AACE President’s Newsletter in November 2015.
- Ahern S., and Mitchell G. Heraclitus Redux: Clinical Consequences of Licorice Ingestion, Once an Ancient Survival Strategy, Now Linked to Overindulgence in Modern Society. Proceedings of UCLA Health. Volume 22 (2018)
- Rocco, V. And Ahern S., An Interesting Case of Hyperkalemia in a Patient with Normal Renal Function. Proceedings of UCLA Health Volume 22 (2018)
- Ahern S., Benjamin M, Ilarde A. Plasmacytoma Masquerading as a goiter. A Case Report. Proceedings of UCLA Health Volume 24 (2020)
CASE REPORTS (PEER REVIEWED)
- Cox S.*, Kujak J, Princenthal R, and Bjelica D. "Skeletal and Extraskeletal Manifestations of Mixed Alpha and Beta Thalassemia”. Radiology Case Reports (2012) Volume 7 (3) PMID 27326288 (*maiden name)
- Ahern S., Daniels M, and Bhangoo M. LHX3 Deficiency in the United States with Severe Developmental Delay in a Child of Syrian Refugee Parents. Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism Case Reports Journal November 2018 DOI: 10.1530/EDM-18-0079
- Ahern S., Nguyen H, Lyou Y, Singh S and Wang PH. Part 3: Case 56 Type B Insulin Resistance Syndrome. Atypical Diabetes: Pathophysiology, Clinical Presentations and Treatment Options. 2018 Boris Draznin MD, PHD Editor, ADA publication
CHAPTERS (IN PRESS)
- Shira Grock, M.D., Reema Patel, M.D., Susan Ahern D.O. Hormone Therapy for Transgender and Gender- Diverse Patients
- The Program for Reducing Obesity (PRO): Two-Year Weight Loss Outcomes" submitted to Obesity Week 2022 in November 2022
- Institutional Review of a Weight Loss Program Utilizing Shared Medical Appointments to Treat Obesity. Obesity Week 2020- Poster 253. Jeffrey Wei, MD, Albert Shieh, MD, Deepashree Gupta, MD, Susan Ahern, DO, Na Shen, MD
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2020
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2019