Dr. Susan Ahern was born and raised in Orange County, California. She now lives with her husband and children in Ventura County. She completed her Internal Medicine Residency, Internal Medicine Chief Residency, and Endocrinology and Metabolism Fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. She is also board certified in Obesity Medicine by the American Board of Obesity Medicine. Her clinical interests include obesity medicine, diabetes mellitus, thyroid conditions including thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer, parathyroid conditions, pituitary conditions, gonadal disorders, and transgender medicine. In her spare, time she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children. Dr. Ahern strives to provide high quality, comprehensive, and evidence based care for her patients.
Medical Board Certifications
A. Peer-Reviewed (Published):
- Ahern S, Daniels M, and Bhangoo M. LHX3 Deficiency in the United States with Severe Developmental Delay in a Child of Syrian Refugee Parents. Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism Case Reports Journal November 2018 DOI: 10.1530/EDM-18-0079
- Ahern, S and Mitchell G. Heraclitus Redux: Clinical Consequences of Licorice Ingestion, Once an Ancient Survival Strategy, Now Linked to Overindulgence in Modern Society. Proceedings of UCLA Healthcare. Volume 22 (2018)
- Rocco, V. And Ahern, S An Interesting Case of Hyperkalemia in a Patient with Normal Renal Function. Volume 22 (2018)
- Purdy AC1, Idriss A, Ahern S, Lin E, Elfenbein DM. Dr. Google: The Readability and Accuracy of Patient Education Websites for Graves' Disease Treatment. Surgery. 2017 Nov;162(5):1148-1154. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2017.07.011. Epub 2017 Aug 30.
- Cox S*, Kujak J, Princenthal R, and Bjelica D. "Skeletal and Extraskeletal Manifestations of Mixed Alpha and Beta Thalassemia". Radiology Case Reports (2012) Volume 7 (3) PMID 27326288
B. Non-Peer Reviewed (Published):
- Ahern S, Synopsis Osteoporosis Lecture by of Stewart Silverman California Chapter AACE meeting on Osteoporosis Drug Holidays published in the California Chapter of the AACE President's Newsletter in November 2015.
A. Chapters (In Press):
- Ahern S, Nguyen H, Lyou Y, Singh S and Wang PH. Type B Insulin Resistance Syndrome. In Diabetes Case Studies: Real Problems, Practical Solutions. 1st Ed. American Diabetes Association (2017) Edited by Boris Draznin
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2020
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars, 2019