Center Director and Division Chief, Clinical Nutrition
Professor of Clinical Medicine
Zhaoping Li, MD, PhD is Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of Clinical Nutrition at the University of California, Los Angeles. Dr. Li completed her MD and PhD in Physiology at Bejing University. Her residency training was completed at the UCLA-VA Internal Medicine program in 1996 where she also served as Chief Medical resident. Dr. Li has been a faculty member at UCLA and VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System since 1997. Dr. Li is board certified in Internal Medicine, and Physician Nutrition Specialist.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Livingston, EH, Liu, C, Sawicki, M, Glantz, G, and Li, Z. “Characteristics of bariatric surgery in an integrated VA health care system: follow-up and outcomes”. J. Surg Res. 2003 Feb; 109 (2):138-43.
- Li, Z, Hong, K, DeShields, S, Saltsman, P, Bellaman, M, Thames, G, Wang, H, Elashoff, R and Heber, D. “Long-term Efficacy of soy based meal replacements vs. an individualized diet plan in obese type 2 dm patients: relative effects on weight loss, metabolic parameters, and c-reactive protein.” Euro. J Clin Nutrition. 2005 Mar;59(3):411-8.
- Li Z, Maglione M, Tu W, Mojica W, Arterburn D, Shugarman LR, Hilton L, Suttorp M, Solomon V, Shekelle PG, Morton SC. Pharmacological Treatment of Obesity: A Meta-Analysis. Annals Internal Med 2005, 142(7):532-46
- Li Z, Seeram NP, Lee R, Thames G, Minutti C, Wang HJ, Heber D. Plasma clearance of lovastatin versus Chinese red yeast rice in healthy volunteers. J Altern Complement Med. 2005, 11(6):1031-8.
- Li, Z, Seeram, N, Lee, R, Carpenter, C, Thames, G, Minutti, C, Bowerman, S. Cranberry does not affect prothrombin time in male subjects on warfarin. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006, 106(12):2057-61.
- Li, Z, Hong, K, Maxwell, M and Heber, D. “Weight Cycling In A Very Low Calorie Diet Program Has No Effect On Weight Loss Velocity, Blood Pressure And Serum Lipid Profile”. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2007 May;9(3):379-85.
- Li Z, Aronson WJ, Arteaga JR, Hong K, Thames G, Henning SM, Liu W, Elashoff R, Ashley JM, Heber D. Feasibility of a low-fat/high-fiber diet intervention with soy supplementation in prostate cancer patients after prostatectomy. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008 Apr;62(4):526-36.
- Yan E, Ko E, Luong V, Wang HJ, Romanova M, Li Z. Long-term changes in weight loss and obesity-related comorbidities after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a primary care experience. Am J Surg. 2008 Jan;195(1):94-8.
- Treyzon L, Chen S, Hong K, Yan E, Carpenter CL, Thames G, Bowerman S, Wang HJ, Elashoff R, Li Z. A controlled trial of protein enrichment of meal replacements for weight reduction with retention of lean body mass .Nutr J. 2008 Aug 27;7(1):23
- Fujioka K, Yan E, Wang HJ, Li Z. Evaluating preoperative weight loss, binge eating disorder, and sexual abuse history on Roux-en-Y gastric bypass outcome. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008 Mar-Apr;4(2):137-43.
- Li Z, Henning SM, Zhang Y, Zerlin A, Li L, Gao K, Lee RP, Karp H, Thames G, Bowerman S, Heber D. Antioxidant-rich spice added to hamburger meat during cooking results in reduced meat, plasma, and urine malondialdehyde concentrations. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May;91(5):1180-4
- Chen S, Kim W, Henning SM, Carpenter CL, Li Z. Arginine and antioxidant supplement on performance in elderly male cyclists: a randomized controlled trial. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010 Mar 23;7(1):13
- Li Z, Song R, Nguyen C, Zerlin A, Karp H, Naowamondhol K, Thames G, Gao K, Li L, Tseng CH, Henning SM, Heber D. Pistachio nuts reduce triglycerides and body weight by comparison to refined carbohydrate snack in obese subjects on a 12-week weight loss program. J Am Coll Nutr. 2010 Jun;29(3):198-203
- Li Z, Karp H, Zerlin A, Lee TY, Carpenter C, Heber D. Absorption of silicon from artesian aquifer water and its impact on bone health in postmenopausal women: a 12 week pilot study. Nutr J. 2010 Oct 14;9:44.
- Li Z, Treyzon L, Chen S, Yan E, Thames G, Carpenter CL. Protein-enriched meal replacements do not adversely affect liver, kidney or bone density: an outpatient randomized controlled trial. Nutr J. 2010 Dec 31;9(1):72.
- Li Z, Wong A, Henning SM, Zhang Y, Jones A, Zerlin A, Thames G, Bowerman S, Tseng CH, Heber D. Hass avocado modulates postprandial vascular reactivity and postprandial inflammatory responses to a hamburger meal in healthy volunteer. Food Funct. 2012 Nov 29
- Li Z, Deng ML, Tseng CH, Heber D. Hypertriglyceridemia Is a Practical Biomarker of Metabolic Syndrome in Individuals with Abdominal Obesity. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2012 Dec 21
- Li Z, Henning SM, Zhang Y, Rahnama N, Zerlin A, Thames G, Tseng CH, Heber D. Decrease of postprandial endothelial dysfunction by spice mix added to high-fat hamburger meat in men with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med. 2013 Jan 15. doi: 10.1111/dme.12120
- Maggard-Gibbons M, Maglione M, Livhits M, Ewing B, Maher AR, Hu J, Li Z, Shekelle PG. Bariatric surgery for weight loss and glycemic control in nonmorbidly obese adults with diabetes: a systematic review. JAMA 2013 Jun 5;309(21):2250-61. doi: 10.1001
- Ohlhorst SD, Russell R, Bier D, Klurfeld DM, Li Z, Mein JR, Milner J, Ross AC, Stover P, Konopka E. Nutrition research to affect food and a healthy life span. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jun 19. [Epub ahead of print]