Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Minor Volunteer
The following program is for invited students who are 16-17 years of age.
UPDATE (3/7/2022): Please note the following changes/impacts:
- New Applicants: We have implemented a new Database System. Please see below for the new process.
- Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteers may resume onsite activities within the following limited clinical spaces and activities according to their approved scope of duties:
- Low Risk Clinical setting and areas ONLY such as clinic waiting rooms, clinic offices, etc. (No patient/exam rooms)
- Direct contact with non-COVID patients and/or study participants in the above areas (i.e. surveys, provide study information, greet/guide, etc.).
- Additional approvals are required for: Access to the hospital, medical center, patient floors, patient rooms, or treatment spaces in which a patient is being seen such as exam rooms. These are reviewed and approved case by case depending on needs and compliance.
- NOT Permitted: Access to isolation rooms or areas in which suspected COVID positive individuals are being held.
- Requirements to be onsite:
- Volunteers must be currently registered and maintain “active” status under the faculty/staff’s assignment (faculty/staff will be notified of who is under their supervision today).
- Volunteers must wear their UCLA Volunteer ID Badge at all times WITH the COVID/Flu Badge buddies and Booster Sticker attached in order to be onsite. Our office handles the badging and sticker process.
- Volunteers must adhere to current UCLA Health COVID Guidelines and Protocols such as masking, physical distancing, hand hygiene, symptom tracker, and any updated requirements (i.e. Booster stickers, etc.).
- Volunteers are required to complete all training and health updates prompted by our office’s new database system. Please remind your volunteers to complete their expired/missing requirements as soon as possible.
- Minor volunteers cannot be granted activities involving computer/system accesses which would require Mednet AD/login accounts.
- "Clinical Activities": activities that will involve ANY of the following:
- Patient or human research subject contact/interaction
- Access to or handle any identifiable/clinical/medical information
- Perform any duties involving activity within clinical settings and areas (i.e. hospital, clinics, waiting rooms, etc.)
- "Health Sciences Minor Volunteers": You are a high school student or underage individual who is 16-17 years old and will be volunteering your time to assist UCLA Faculty and Staff without any form of compensation. As a minor (ages 16-17 years), you will be restricted to clerical and basic research duties.
- If you are a UCLA Student under the age of 18 years AND enrolling in a UCLA elective research course (i.e. SRP), you must have your inviting faculty complete the Minor Volunteer Scope of Duties (MSOD) Forms.
- UCLA Students who are under the age of 18 and will be conducting research for a UCLA elective research course, your inviting faculty must submit a request for Exception to Policy for office approval.
To Get Started:
Applicants: You must be officially invited by the inviting supervisor (UCLA Health Sciences Staff/Faculty) and receive an Opportunity Link via email to sign up for their Volunteer Assignment. (Click here for an example of an Opportunity Link)
- New CUHS Volunteer Applicants: You will be prompted to complete the On-Boarding process.
- Existing CUHS Volunteers: You will be prompted to update your information to ensure eligibility and complete any missing On-Boarding requirements before the CUHS Program Coordinator can approve and place you with the supervisor’s assignment.
Inviting Supervisors: Must be a UCLA Health Sciences Employee (may not be an undergraduate student worker or contractor/contingent worker).
What to Expect:
- Applicants may preview the Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Requirements to help expedite the process and prepare for the On-Boarding Process.
- Once your supervisor's Opportunity form is approved, you (applicant) will receive a link to the Opportunity which you must "sign up" and complete all the On-Boarding steps via Samaritan (Volunteer Dashboard).
- Applicant volunteers complete their on-boarding steps via the Samaritan Volunteer Login or Dashboard. You will need to sign up if you do not have an existing volunteer record with UCLA Health.
- Turnaround time from On Boarding to Final Session is typically 1-2 weeks (with no delays from background checks, other clearance items, and/or other approvals).
- The Sign-Up for an On-Boarding Appointment will not be available until all of the requirements are completed and verified by our coordinators.
- After the On-Boarding Appointment, you are required to complete the Final Session Orientation to finalize the clearance process.
For any questions, please contact the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office.