Nutrients to Avoid:
- Sodium: Excess sodium can increase blood pressure, so it is important to reduce salt intake as much as possible.
- Caffeine: It may promote cyst growth.
- Processed foods: These foods are usually high in salt and sugars.
- Corn Syrup: It is a form of liquid calories and should be avoided.
Nutrients to Reduce:
- Carbohydrates: They should be eaten in moderation as they are caloric and can lead to weight gain.
- Protein: Your doctor may recommend a lower intake of protein depending on your level of kidney function. Since the kidneys process protein, it is difficult for them to filter it out when their function is lost. This can then cause a backup of excess waste in the blood.
- Alcohol: It should be consumed in moderation. High sugar containing drinks should be avoided.
- Fibers: They help assist the body with digestion.
- Fruits and Vegetables: These foods are lower in calories and can help lower blood pressure. However, you should be aware of potassium content in this food group and talk to your doctor regarding any potassium restrictions.
Disclaimer: The UCLA Health System cannot guarantee the accuracy of such information. The information is provided without warranty or guarantee of any kind. Please speak to your Physician before making any changes.