The UCLA-VA Endocrinology Fellowship Program participates in the National Residency Matching Program and ERAS application system. Applicants should apply through ERAS as well as register with the NRMP. Interview selection is based on academic performance, clinical skills, letters of recommendation, scholarship, and personal characteristics. All application materials must be submitted through ERAS.
The deadline for submission of endocrinology fellowship program applications is Friday, September 1, 2023. It is preferred that letters of recommendation are uploaded by the application submission deadline. There is no guarantee that applications received after the deadline will be reviewed.
In addition to the ERAS Common Application Form, we require the following materials to be submitted through ERAS:
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE/COMLEX score sheets
- Personal statement
- Please be specific regarding future career plans and areas of interest. If your focus is research, what is your research interest? What are your goals in research? Please be specific in your statement.
- Three letters of recommendation (minimum)*
- One of the letters of recommendation must be from your current Program Director.
- If there is an in interest in the research scientist track, one letter should be from someone who is familiar with your research background.
- Standard Dean's letters of progress in courses are not considered letters of recommendation.
Applicants will receive notification regarding application document status and interview dates in August. Invitations to interview with our program will be sent out as applications are reviewed. Interviews will take place on Wednesdays and Fridays in September and October. In keeping with the guidance from the UCLA Office of Graduate Medical Education and the Association for Program Directors in Endocrinology and Metabolism, all interviews for the 2023 interview season will be conducted virtually. Following an introductory presentation by the program director, applicants will meet with our program director, associate program directors, division chief, and other faculty (20-25 minutes each). Applicants will also have the opportunity to attend a Grand Rounds presentation as well as informal discussion with our current fellows.
Qualified candidates must, at the time of application, be in one of the following categories:
- US citizen
- US permanent resident
- ECFMG J1 Visa applicant at the time of application submission
Eligible applicants must have:
- Completed a minimum of 36 months of US ACGME-accredited residency training (24 consecutive months of which must be completed at the same institution) by the start of fellowship
- Taken and passed Parts 1, 2 and 3** of the USMLE (or equivalent COMLEX exam)
- Currently hold a valid California medical license or must be eligible to apply for a California medical license on July 1st (start of training)
Stephanie Smooke Praw, MD
Program Director, Endocrine Fellowship
Associate Clinical Professor
UCLA, Division of Endocrinology
Box 957065, 200 Med Plaza # 530
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7065
Phone: (310) 825-7922
Please contact Jasmine Teo, Fellowship Program Coordinator, for any questions regarding the applications process at [email protected].