Core Clinical Rotations
The UCLA-VA Endocrine Fellowship Program provides outstanding subspecialty training in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism aimed at developing tomorrow’s leaders in teaching, research and patient care.
The consult fellow will gain clinical experience as well as autonomy by leading a team including medical residents, interns and medical students. Our fellows care for patients with a broad spectrum of endocrine diseases while providing consultation and education to our patients and medical team.
- The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center is a tertiary care center where patients are complex and exhibit a diverse spectrum of pathology, including thyroid diseases, thyroid cancer, metabolic bone disorders (osteoporosis, osteomalacia, Paget's disease), hyper- and hypocalcemia, diabetes mellitus, pituitary and neuroendocrine tumors, adrenal tumors and adrenal dysfunction. All consultation cases are presented to and discussed with a clinical faculty member each day. A separate Hyperglycemia Service is run by team of PAs/NPs during the week.
- The VA Greater Los Angeles serves as a hub for the VA system, with referrals from Central and Southern California and Southern Nevada, providing a rich variety of patients and endocrine issues. At the VA, all consultation cases are presented to and discussed with a senior staff physician in daily didactic rounds. Clinics during these months include General Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Lipid Clinics at the West LA VA.
- At the UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica, fellows have the opportunity to practice endocrinology in a community-based setting. They round on a daily basis with supervisory faculty, seeing a wide array of endocrine cases.
Continuity Clinics Continuity clinic is a wonderful opportunity for fellows to build relationships and follow patients over time, permitting experience in long term management of the disease. First and second year fellows have continuity clinics in both the VA and UCLA academic or community setting:
Fellows choose a continuity clinic site (meeting for a half day, once per week) at either UCLA Westwood UCLA-Santa Monica, , or one of the UCLA endocrine satellite practices.
- Fellows have an additional weekly continuity clinic in the VA Diabetes Clinic as well as the VA General Endocrine Clinic.
In addition to general endocrine clinics, dedicated diabetes clinics and continuity clinics, our fellows have the opportunity to learn from and participate in patient care in a multitude of subspecialty practices, integral to the practice of endocrinology. These include:
- Bone Metabolic Disorder, including bone densitometry
- Endocrine Surgery
- Gender Health
- Lipid Disorder and Cardiovascular Risk Reduction Clinic
- Medical Nutrition
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pituitary-Neuroendocrine Tumor Clinic
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Fertility
- Surgical Obesity
- Thyroid Biopsy Clinic
- Thyroid Disease (including hypo, hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer)
- Thyroid Eye Disease
- Urology/Erectile Dysfunction