Wards (Tertiary/Community Experiences): Trainees will lead inpatient pediatric ward rounds at both Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center with 50 beds of high acuity tertiary care patients, as well as UCLA Medical Center Santa Monica which is a 26 bed community pediatric ward.
Newborn Care: Trainees will take a primary role in caring for newborns in the nursery from birth until discharge, focusing on routine newborn care, screening and anticipatory guidance for new parents at UCLA Medical Center Santa Monica which has about 1400 births per year; as well as a 16 bed Level III NICU unit providing delivery room care and care of acutely ill neonates
Elective Rotations (include, but not limited to): Anesthesia, Vascular Access Team, Transport, PICU, Palliative Care, Infectious Diseases, Toxicology, Child Abuse, Pulmonology, Leadership, and more!
Trainees will be given ample time to develop and carry out a research project in a variety of domains. Mentorship will be made available in basic science, clinical, and medical education research from all pediatric departments as well as the affiliated medical school based on their academic interest. A scholarly product is expected by the completion of the 2 year training program.
Scholarly products may include a peer-reviewed publication a fellow played a substantial role, in-depth manuscript describing a completed project or extramural grant application. For scholarly work, fellows will collaborate with their respective mentors and the UCLA Children’s Discovery and Innovation Institute and UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute. Second year fellows are encouraged to submit research abstracts for the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference and Pediatric Society International Meetings.
Additional Training Program Opportunities
- David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA Faculty Fellowship in Medical Education
- Year 1: Innovations in Curriculum Design and Evaluation
- Year 2: Medical Education Scholarship
- UCLA Resident Informaticist Program
- LEAN Academy Quality Improvement Curriculum
- Monthly PHM Journal Club
- Monthly PHM Fellows Didactic Conference
- Monthly PHM Faculty Development Conference
- Bimonthly PHM M&M Conference
- Bimonthly PHM Fellows-led Didactic Conference
- Bimonthly Point of Care Ultrasound Simulation Sessions
- Bimonthly PHM Work-in-Progress/Creative Contributions Conference
- Bimonthly PHM Case Conference
- Biannual SoCal PHM Fellow Consortium
- Resident and Medical Student Case-Based Noon Conference Lectures
- Hospital or Inpatient Committee Participation (i.e. Unit Practice Council, Patient Safety Committee or Pediatric Quality Improvement Council)
- UCLA Pediatric Fellows Curriculum – Biostatistics Online Course, Semi-Annual UCLA Pediatric Fellows College, UCLA Children’s Discovery and Innovative Institute (CDI) Seminar Series, UCLA Annual CDI Symposium