1. What is your application deadline?
The application deadline is November 1.
2. Can I apply to both the categorical and primary care track?
Yes. Applicants can apply for and be considered for both tracks. If you are applying to both tracks, you will need to interview on two separate days (one primary care day and one categorical day).
3. How many PGY-1 positions are in your program?
There are 62 PGY-1 positions
42 PGY-1 Categorical positions
12 Primary Care PGY-1 positions
4 Med-Peds PGY-1 positions
4 Physician-Scientist Training Program PGY-1 positions
4. Do you have a minimum USMLE score requirement?
We do not have a cut-off score. The expectation is that interviewed applicants will have passed the USMLE prior to starting in the program.
5. Do I need my USMLE Step 2 score before applying?
6. If I am an international medical school graduate can I still apply?
Yes. For more on UCLA's policy regarding visas and internal medical school graduates, please see the UCLA Graduate Medical Education Website.
7. When are your interview dates?
We interview applicants to the Categorical Track on Mondays and Fridays starting at the end of October through mid-December. Applicants to the Primary Care Track interview on Tuesdays. Applicants to the Med-Peds program interview on Wednesdays.
8. How has COVID-19 impacted the interview cycle? Do you offer in-person second look visits?
All interviews during the 2022-2023 interview season will be conducted in a virtual setting in order to provide a safe and equitable process for all applicants, both from local and non-local institutions. We look forward to conveying the many opportunities available at UCLA and the dynamic culture our residents create through creative virtual experiences. We are always available for questions!
In an effort to achieve equity in our resident selection process, we follow the University of California guidance for residency programs to offer only virtual interviews and not allow structured, in-person second look visits. We hope you will have or had the opportunity to learn all about our program during your virtual interview day. If you are visiting the LA area and wish to check out UCLA, you are welcome to visit, but we do not offer specific programming, hospital tours, or additional meetings with faculty outside of your interview day. Thank you for your interest in our program!
9. Can I submit more than 3 letters of recommendation?
All applicants must submit three letters of recommendations, one of which must be from the Chair of Medicine (or designee). We will accept an additional letter of recommendation up to the limit set by ERAS.
10. What is the salary and benefits for your housestaff?
For the most updated salaries, please visit our Graduate Medical Education webpage on housestaff salaries.
Resident benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- Housing stipend: $1000 monthly housing, paid as wages and subject to tax withholding
- $3,000 on ID card for food purchases at Ronald Reagan and Santa Monica cafeterias
- Interns are eligible for reimbursement from an education fund up to $500
- Residents are eligible for reimbursement from an education fund up to $1,000 / year
- Reimbursement for California Medical Board license
- Reimbursement for USMLE Step 3 exam