Find your care
- The Cerebral Blood Flow (CBF) Laboratory, which began as a Department of Neurosurgery program, has been added as the newest facility to the roster of Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center diagnostic laboratories.
- The CBF Laboratory provides assessment of the cerebral circulation using Transcranial Doppler and Xenon-133 CBF measurement.
- Measures blood flow velocity in cerebral arteries, including internal carotid, ophthalmic, anterior/middle/posterior cerebral, vertebral and basilar.
- Equipment is portable and therefore available bedside in the intensive care unit, wards, operating room and emergency room.
- Detection of intracranial artery stenosis, including transient ischemic attack (TIA) and stroke patients.
- Pre-operative assessment of cerebral collateral circulation.
- Monitoring of cerebral vasospasm, including aneurysm and trauma patients.
- Assessment of cerebral arteriovenous malformations (AVMs).
- Confirmation of cerebral circulatory arrest, or brain death.
- Cerebral emboli detection.
- Cerebrovascular reserve (stroke risk) determination.
- Intraoperative monitoring, including carotid endarterectomy, cardiac surgery, other procedures threatening cerebral circulation.