Find your care
Fortunately, many insurance companies recognize the serious health threats of obesity and do cover weight loss surgery as long as you meet the qualification requirements. At UCLA’s Bariatric Surgery Program, we accept most of PPO insurance policies and select HMO policies with an authorization from your Primary Care Provider. However, it is important to check with our office to ensure your health policy covers your weight loss surgery procedure.
Many PPO insurance providers are now providing coverage for Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, Distal Bypass and Lap-Band Removal. Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Oscar, Tricare and United Health Care typically cover weight loss procedures. Our office staff will happily verify your insurance benefit. Please Contact us at 310-825-7163.
Qualifying for Bariatric Surgery:
A person must have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or BMI of 35 or greater with an obesity-related co-morbid condition including, but not limited to:
- Diabetes mellitus, Type II
- Cardiovascular disease
- Life threatening cardio-pulmonary problems, (for example, severe obstructive sleep apnea, Pickwickian syndrome, obesity related cardiomyopathy)
Documentation of all of the following:
- Participation in a weight loss program. The individual must have actively participated in the program for at least 3-6 months; and
- Pre-operative medical and mental health evaluations and clearances; and
- Pre-operative nutritional counseling with a Registered Dietitian; and
- Pre-operative education which addresses the risks, benefits, realistic expectations and the need for long-term follow-up and adherence to behavioral modifications
**Please Note: All clinical guidelines and qualifying factors vary based on insurance company and the policies in place. If you have specific questions regarding your health insurance policy, please contact our office at 310-825-7163, option 2.
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is designated as:
- United Health Care (UHC) Optum Center of Excellence Network (COE)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Bariatric Resource Service (BRS)
- Aetna Institute of Quality (IOQ)
- MBSAQIP Accredited Center
For a physician referral, please call (800) UCLA-MD1 (825-2631).
*Weight loss results can vary depending on the individual. There is no guarantee of specific results. Read full disclaimer.