Find your care
What is a Vasectomy Reversal?
Vasectomy reversal is a surgical procedure to undo a vasectomy. It is performed to restore the flow of sperm to the vas deferens, the tubes that carry sperm. A successful vasectomy reversal allows couples to pursue spontaneous pregnancy. A vasectomy reversal is a great option for men whose life situation has changed; whether simply deciding to expand an existing family, getting remarried and desiring a biological child, meeting someone new and rethinking an initial decision to not procreate, or due to religious conversion. There are many reasons, all valid, for why a man changes his mind.
Vasectomy Reversal at The Men's Clinic at UCLA: Success Rates, Procedure and Recovery
At the Men’s Clinic, it’s all about the patient and his decision to proceed with the best surgical procedure and desired outcome. Here are a few things to consider about vasectomy reversals as you are trying to make your decision.
- Vasectomy reversal at the Men’s Clinic at UCLA is an outpatient surgery under general anesthesia that lasts approximately 3 hours.
- Men can return to normal activity, including sex, in 2 weeks.
- Success rates depend on many factors; here are a few that are critical:
- Skill of the surgeon. Dr. Mills is a world leader in vasectomy reversal and has been performing the surgery in high volume since 2007.
- Quality of fluid in the vas deferens at the time of reversal. If there are swimming sperm in the vas deferens at the time of reversal, the success rate will be 100%. Success rates are ultimately very high with any fluid quality, however.
- Time elapsed since the vasectomy. Reversal failures, especially at UCLA, are rare if the man is less than 10 years from his vasectomy.
- Close follow up. Mills performs a comprehensive fertility evaluation on every man considering reversal. This includes medication review, medical history, physical exam, hormone evaluation. If he finds any way to optimize fertility potential, Dr. Mills will do this in addition to performing the reversal.
Vasectomy Reversal Cost
At UCLA vasectomy reversals are performed in an outpatient setting for which we offer competitive pricing. Dr. Mills performs reversals on men from all over the world, and his office staff can assist with hotel accommodations in the West Los Angeles area.
Scheduling an Appointment
Appointments are easy to schedule and board-certified urologist Dr. Jesse Mills makes every effort to accommodate your appointment within 1-2 weeks of calling to schedule. For more information and to schedule an appointment, please call the UCLA Urology Appointment line at 310-794-7700.