Superhero window washers fight grime, lift children’s spirits
At the third annual Superhero Day at UCLA, window washers dressed as Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and The Hulk (new this year) will descend from the roof of Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA to a fifth-floor terrace to entertain and pose for photos with young patients and their families.
The grime-fighters will then descend on their platform down the hospital’s east wall where they will be visible through the window of a patient room.
The hospital’s window washing vendor, Sunland Window Cleaning, created Superhero Day at UCLA in 2013 and is once again donating its time and providing the costumes. The cleaners are looking forward to bringing smiles to the faces of the pediatric patients, many of whom are coping with serious illnesses and are hospitalized for weeks or months at a time.
Tuesday, Aug. 11 (all times below are approximate)
- 9:30 a.m. Children arrive on fifth-floor outdoor terrace. Superheroes wave to kids from the roof, then descend from roof down the south wall and wash windows.
- 10:15 a.m. Superheroes meet patients and families on terrace and pose for photos.
- 10:45 a.m. Superheroes return to roof and descend east wall to clean windows of pediatric patient rooms.
Chase Child Life terrace, fifth floor, Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA, 757 Westwood Blvd., Los Angeles (map)
Patients of Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA and their families
Sunland Window Cleaning
- Ruben Dominguez as Batman (Spanish-speaking)?
- Marcus Gallo as The Hulk
- Ryan Irvin as Spider-Man
- Ricki Kincer as Captain America
- Sylvia Pulido as Wonder Woman (Spanish-speaking)?
Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA
- Kellye Carroll, director, Chase Child Life program
Amy Albin, UCLA Health Sciences Media Relations, 310-794-8672 or 310-597-5765, [email protected]
Kim Irwin, UCLA Health Sciences Media Relations, 310-794-2262 or 310-435-9457, [email protected]
R.S.V.P. AND PARKING
Media must R.S.V.P. to a UCLA Health Sciences media contact.
News vans are asked to park along the curb of southbound Westwood Plaza, just south of 300 UCLA Medical Plaza. (Vehicles may not block fire hydrants.)
News media in personal vehicles can valet park at the entrance to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, on the west side of Westwood Plaza. A media relations representative will provide a complimentary valet pass at the conclusion of the event.
Please note that due to construction, Strathmore Avenue is closed between Westwood Plaza and Charles E. Young Drive West.