The UCLA School of Medicine Statement on Supporting an Abuse-Free Academic Community
The UCLA School of Medicine is committed to establishing and maintaining an environment in which every community member is enabled and encouraged to excel. This will happen only if all of us work in harmony, free of intimidation, exploitation, ridicule and harassment. We must maintain a productive environment in which no individual is subject to discrimination or abuse. This statement should be read as consistent with and in connection with UCLA policies relating to harassment and discrimination.
Specific Behaviors that are not acceptable include:
- Sexual harassment, including unwelcome sexual advances or demands, either verbal or physical
- Using rejection to such as a basis for making academic or personnel decisions affecting an individual
- Discriminating on the basis of gender race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or any other group characteristics
- Using power to interfere with the activities of another in a manner that is unrelated or counterproductive to the expectation and requirements of his or her position
- Creating an environment, through abusive behavior, in which the abilities of individuals to function professionally are negatively affected.
No such person shall be subject to reprisal for using or participating either in an informal or formal complaint resolution process. It is incumbent on each and every one of us to support the maintenance of an abuse free environment.
Resources for Reporting Abuse