Dr. Goldman is a Health Science Associate Clinical Professor within the Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery. At UCLA, Dr. Goldman specializes in the care of athletes and provides high-quality care to patients of all ages with both medical and musculoskeletal issues. He is considered an expert in non-surgical orthopedic issues as well as musculoskeletal ultrasound. He is also one of the few physicians in the Los Angeles area with expertise in minimally invasive orthopedic procedures including:
- Ultrasound-guided joint injections (knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, elbow, and ankle)
- Orthobiologic injections including hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- Ultrasound-guided percutaneous needle tenotomy for the treatment of tendinosis (chronic tendon-related pain)
- Ultrasound-guided needle barbotage for calcific tendinosis (calcium deposits within a tendon)
In addition to his UCLA Health clinical practice, he is the team physician for UCLA football, men's soccer, and women's water polo teams. He has previously served as a team physician for UCLA baseball, softball, and men's volleyball as well as a volunteer team physician at the United States Olympic Training Center, USA Hockey, and the Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP).
He also serves in many administrative roles within University. These include the Associate Director for the Orthopedic Institute for Children's Center for Sports Medicine, the Associate Director of the UCLA Steve Tisch BrainSPORT Program, and the Program Director for the UCLA Sports Medicine fellowship.
He received both his medical degree and Master in Business Administration from the University of Southern California, completed residency training in Family Medicine at UCLA, and completed his Sports Medicine fellowship training at UCLA. He is a member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine where he serves on the Education and Fellowship committees, the PAC-12 Student-Athlete Health Conference Committee, the American College of Sports Medicine, and the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Dr. Goldman is a lifelong athlete himself, participating in high level soccer for the majority of his youth. He is now an avid runner and co-founder of the community-based running community, the Electric Athletic Club. He enjoys blending his personal passion for running with his sports medicine practice, helping runners achieve their training and competition goals.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Concussion in Sports
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Training Load & Injury
- Sleep & Sports Performance
- Pediatric Fracture Management
- Krabak BJ, Roberts WO, Tenforde AS, Ackerman KE, Adami PE, Baggish AL, Barrack M, Cianca J, Davis I, D'Hemecourt P, Fredericson M, Goldman JT, Harrast MA, Heiderscheit BC, Hollander K, Kraus E, Luke A, Miller E, Moyer M, Rauh MJ, Toresdahl BG, Wasfy MM. Youth running consensus statement: minimising risk of injury and illness in youth runners. Br J Sports Med. 2021 Mar;55(6):305-318.
- Goldman JT, Miller E, Runestad S, Serpa R, Beck J. Should Adolescents Run Marathons?: Youth Marathon Training Injury Epidemiology and Risk Factors. Clin J Sport Med. 2020 Sep 15.
- Moulson N, Petek BJ, Drezner JA, Harmon KG, Kliethermes SA, Patel MR, Baggish AL; Outcomes Registry for Cardiac Conditions in Athletes Investigators. SARS-CoV-2 Cardiac Involvement in Young Competitive Athletes. Circulation. 2021 Jul 27;144(4):256-266.
- McCrea MA, Shah A, Duma S, Rowson S, Harezlak J, McAllister TW, Broglio SP, Giza CC, Goldman J, Cameron KL, Houston MN, McGinty G, Jackson JC, Guskiewicz K, Mihalik JP, Brooks MA, Pasquina P, Stemper BD. Opportunities for Prevention of Concussion and Repetitive Head Impact Exposure in College Football Players: A Concussion Assessment, Research, and Education (CARE) Consortium Study. JAMA Neurol. 2021 Mar 1;78(3):346-350.
- McCrea M, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, Gill J, Giza CC, Huber DL, Harezlak J, Cameron KL, Houston MN, McGinty G, Jackson JC, Guskiewicz K, Mihalik J, Brooks MA, Duma S, Rowson S, Nelson LD, Pasquina P, Meier TB; and the CARE Consortium Investigators, Foroud T, Katz BP, Saykin AJ, Campbell DE, Svoboda SJ, Goldman J, DiFiori J. Association of Blood Biomarkers With Acute Sport-Related Concussion in Collegiate Athletes: Findings From the NCAA and Department of Defense CARE Consortium. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Jan 3;3(1):e1919771.
- Stemper BD, Shah AS, Mihalik JP, Harezlak J, Rowson S, Duma S, Riggen LD, Brooks A, Cameron KL, Giza CC, Goldman J, Houston MN, Jackson J, McGinty G, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, McCrea M. Head Impact Exposure in College Football following a Reduction in Preseason Practices. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2020 Jan 21.
- Caccese JB, Bodt BA, Iverson GL, Kaminski TW, Bryk K, Oldham J, Broglio SP, McCrea M, McAllister T, Buckley TA; CARE Consortium Investigators. Estimated Age of First Exposure to Contact Sports and Neurocognitive, Psychological, and Physical Outcomes in Healthy NCAA Collegiate Athletes: A Cohort Study. Sports Med. 2020 Jan 30.
- Schmidt JD, Rawlins MLW, Lynall RC, D'Lauro C, Clugston JR, McAllister TW, McCrea M, Broglio SP; CARE Consortium Investigators. Medical Disqualification Following Concussion in Collegiate Student-Athletes: Findings from the CARE Consortium. Sports Med. 2020 Jun 16.
- Brett, BL, Kramer, MD, McCrea, MA, Broglio, SP, McAllister, TW, Nelson, LW, CARE Consortium Investigators, Hazzard, JB, Jr, Kelly, LA, Ortega, J, Port, N, Pasquina, PF, Jackson, J, Cameron, KL, Houston, MN, Goldman, JT, Giza, C, Buckley, T, Clugston, JR, Schmidt, JD, Susmarski, A. Bifactor Model of the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool Symptom Checklist: Replication and Invariance Across Time in the CARE Consortium Sample. Am J Sports Med. 2020;48(11):2783-2795.
- Caccese, JB, Houck, Z, Kaminski, TW, Clugston, JR, Iverson, GL, Bryk, KN, Oldham, JR, Pasquina, PF, Broglio, SP, McAllister, TW, McCrea, M, Hoy, A, Hazzard, JB, Jr, Kelly, LA, Ortega, JD, Port, N, Putukian, M, Langford, TD, Giza, CC, Goldman, JT. Estimated age of first exposure to American football and outcome from concussion. Neurology. 2020;10.1212.
In the News
- Students Use the Los Angeles Marathon as a Way to Keep Going
- Health fitness the single best hip exercise for men
- Excellence in Action | JOSHUA GOLDMAN ’05, M.D.
- MDs with MBAs report bigger salaries, more satisfaction
*Note: News website links may expire without notice.
- Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors, 2022
- Lacey Wyatt Family Medicine Teacher of the Year Recipient
- UCLA Exceptional Physician, 2020
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2018
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2017
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2016